CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 07-14-2011, 10:47 AM   #41
Jakob Schmidt

Profile:
Re: Uncle Rhabdo Shirt

This shirt would work too: http://images2.cpcache.com/product/3...lor-Yellow.jpg (WFS)
Old 07-14-2011, 10:50 AM   #42
Matt Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Schmitt View Post
Too bright.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:57 PM   #43
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Martin View Post
Dr. Mattes, I appreciate the complementary prognosis, but I can assure you that my kidneys were tested multiple times throughout my hospital stay and several DOCTORS assured me there was absolutely no damage: temporary or permanent.
Yes. Gumming your filtration tubules and glomeruli with uric acid and other non-processable substances released from the destruction of muscle tissue will have no long-term subclinical effects on kidney function whatsoever. Of course. Nor will it induce clinical or subclinical damage to other organs. (WFS)

Rhabdo's fine, dudes! Don't worry about it!

Last edited by Emily Mattes; 07-14-2011 at 03:01 PM..
Old 07-14-2011, 04:09 PM   #44
Matt Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
Yes. Gumming your filtration tubules and glomeruli with uric acid and other non-processable substances released from the destruction of muscle tissue will have no long-term subclinical effects on kidney function whatsoever. Of course. Nor will it induce clinical or subclinical damage to other organs. (WFS)

Rhabdo's fine, dudes! Don't worry about it!
Care to be more specific in what exactly you're citing in that pdf? I just read an article that told me rats who have glycerol-induced rhabdomyolysis can get lung damage.

I'm not just arguing for the sake of argument here. If there is valuable information in that article that is applicable to my case of rhabdomyolysis, I'd genuinely like to know what it is.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:49 PM   #45
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Martin View Post
Care to be more specific in what exactly you're citing in that pdf? I just read an article that told me rats who have glycerol-induced rhabdomyolysis can get lung damage.

I'm not just arguing for the sake of argument here. If there is valuable information in that article that is applicable to my case of rhabdomyolysis, I'd genuinely like to know what it is.
What are you implying? Rhabdomyolysis has enough of a different mechanism in action when not exercise-induced as to invalidate the study? Or that animal models aren't appropriate? Because the research I've done indicates while rhabdo has many causes, its effects remain the same, and if you're arguing about the validity of animal models, especially the rat, you'll have to take that up with the experiences of the scientific community for hundreds of years.

EDIT: It's your body to mess up, but you should at least know what you're doing to it, y'know?
Old 07-14-2011, 04:56 PM   #46
Michael Dowling

Profile:

It's just a t-shirt, I wonder what people would say about my mustache rides t-shirt.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:46 AM   #47
Jakob Schmidt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dowling View Post
It's just a t-shirt, I wonder what people would say about my mustache rides t-shirt.
Well, that's just a classic shirt... who doesn't love mustache rides? Haha.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:30 AM   #48
Matt Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
What are you implying? Rhabdomyolysis has enough of a different mechanism in action when not exercise-induced as to invalidate the study? Or that animal models aren't appropriate? Because the research I've done indicates while rhabdo has many causes, its effects remain the same, and if you're arguing about the validity of animal models, especially the rat, you'll have to take that up with the experiences of the scientific community for hundreds of years.

EDIT: It's your body to mess up, but you should at least know what you're doing to it, y'know?
No I wasn't trying to imply any of that. I guess I just don't find that one article substantial enough to validate your claim that all those affected by rhabdo end up with permanent damage.

While it is my body, I didn't choose to get rhabdo. I've been crossfiting for three years and I made the mistake of doing a 100 pullup wod a few weeks after coming back to crossfit from a break. I consumed alcohol after a two day rest period and ended up paying for it. I learned a lot from the experience.