CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-01-2011, 01:00 PM   #1
Jeff DaVince

Profile:
Free WOD Log software

Hi all. My name is Jeff. I'm a senior in high school and have been CF-ing for 2 years now. I have recently taken an interest in computer programming that I've started teaching myself.

One inconvenience that I have found while CF-ing is recording the workout results. I have tried various methods (written, online resources, excel spreadsheet) but none seemed ideal for one reason or another. I hope to create a program to help alleviate this problem.

To keep it short, I am wondering how many people would be interested in a free, downloadable program that will help keep track of WOD times, lift numbers, body weight, body fat percentage, ect. After every workout, you would enter in the WOD name or description, the time, and any other comments. This data will be recorded by the program. Features include the ability to evaluate your progress by comparing your results from different dates on chosen WOD. I also hope to include various graphs and charts to visualize your progress.

I am just looking to see how many people would enjoy the use of this program. I hope to have the first version out by the end of June. Additional versions may follow with added features. I am also up for suggestions of any features you would like to see as a part of this program.

This thread is for your feedback! Please let me know your thoughts. Either post directly here or pm me please.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:01 PM   #2
Michael Loucas

Profile:
Re: Free WOD Log software

I like the idea. Go for it.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
Melody Glasgow

Profile:

Sounds awesome!

The one issue I've run into on the online CF workout logs, is the ease of putting in modifications to common WODs.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
Jeff DaVince

Profile:

Thank for the support!

Melody, do you mean putting in input if you don't do a workout as RX'd? I believe the "notes" section as part of my program will allow you to input the substitutions and change of weight that you do.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:36 PM   #5
Steve Bray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff DeVince View Post
Thank for the support!

Melody, do you mean putting in input if you don't do a workout as RX'd? I believe the "notes" section as part of my program will allow you to input the substitutions and change of weight that you do.
yeah just have an option where you can chose RX'd or Scaled and if scaled just write in a notes section what was scaled.

edit: i would be very interested. i dont think i should have to pay to use the whiteboard. but hey... people gotta earn money somehow.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:55 PM   #6
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Can't wait to see what you come up with.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:20 PM   #7
Dave Traeger

Profile:

A fairly easy method of adding custom WOD's would be handy too
Old 06-02-2011, 01:08 AM   #8
Richard Jenkinson

Profile:

Sounds like a great idea, i don't crossfit per se but I do a variety of different works but end up with an odd looking s/sheet without an easy way to compare.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:03 AM   #9
Nalin Prabhu

Profile:

Something for the Android platform would be awesome. Were you thinking about a mobile app or something for a PC?
Old 06-02-2011, 08:41 AM   #10
Anthony Giurato

Profile:

Is this application going to be a Crossfit WOD application or a versatile workout log? I ask because I think many would find it useful for only a short bit if all it would track is Crossfit style (chipper, couplet, AMRAP, etc) workouts.

For example, if I do Crossfit for 6 months, then decide to change to doing something like Starting Strength or Olympic lifting for a while, will I be able to track all of my progress in this one program?

One feature I think that is important is the ability to export the data. At a minimum it should be exportable as a CSV or TSV file.

I don't know if you plan on making this a deskop, mobile, or web application, but I'd recommend you make a web backend as part of it so that you can enter data from wherever you are. If your data is only accessible from the computer you enter it on, it won't be nearly as useful.

Make sure you plan carefully on how the data is stored. Strength training should not be compared to metabolic conditioning or technique work. When a user looks to see his progress on the Clean and Jerk, he should not see his Grace (30 C&J @ 135 lbs for time) results mixed in (unless he wants them).

If the application is stable, versatile, and usable (I use Linux at home), then I'd use it.