CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 06-02-2011, 09:21 AM   #31
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:
Re: Arizona...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Glasgow View Post
I definitely do want taxes for twinkies, soda, macdonald's, and all poisons like it. I used to be a 1-2 pack a day smoker. You know what my biggest motivator for quitting was? I couldn't afford it anymore after they started taxing the **** out of it.

30% of our country is obese because crap food is cheaper than healthy food. The crap food is pretty much paid for twice by the American taxpayer - the first is corn and soy subsidies, and then again when we have to pay the Medicare costs for the millions of sick people that are the result.

30% of persons in this country, a large percentage of which cannot afford health care (they can't even afford to buy vegetables), will spend the last 20-30 years of their life requiring expensive medical procedures for diseases that are the direct result of eating fast food and other nasties. All these procedures will fall to Medicare/Medicaid.

I say tax it and put it towards health care. Just my two cents.
http://apha.confex.com/apha/132am/te...aper_80223.htm (wfs)

5% of ED visits (at least) are for alcohol related injuries. 1,869,989 annually in 2001. We should ban alcohol.

It also seems odd that you would want to "ban" cheap food, and then discuss people who can't afford healthcare. Sounds like eugenics in a painful fashion to me.

I think everyone pays enough taxes.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:37 AM   #32
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Wallis View Post
You contradict yourself by advocating, basically, forced physical activity by making it a requirement in school. Then you proclaim that the gov't shouldn't have a say when it comes to our bodies.
I contradict my working out by eating horribly and drinking too.

Gym is already a requirement, why not optimize it?
Old 06-02-2011, 11:47 AM   #33
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Swartz View Post
Gym is already a requirement, why not optimize it?
In the majority of states, it isn't. http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2...ion-ar-925900/ (wfs)

Last edited by Rebecca Roth : 06-02-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:08 PM   #34
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
In the majority of states, it isn't. http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2...ion-ar-925900/ (wfs)
That's pretty interesting, considering I went to school in Fairfax county and had mandatory gym. I wonder if the middle school I went to has cut their gym time.

On a side note, I can fix their budget problem.

Quote:
Patrick Lacy, counsel for the Virginia School Boards Association, has said that of the 330 minutes of school time required each day for public elementary schools, the PE mandate in addition to other curriculum obligations would leave only 22 minutes for art, music, library and foreign language.

Among the 13 health groups that wrote to McDonnell this week are the Medical Society of Virginia, the Virginia chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics, and the American Cancer Society.

McDonnell noted that first lady Maureen McDonnell has made fighting childhood obesity and promoting preventative health care among her top issues. But, be said, "we should not attempt to achieve important goals by disproportionately placing the burden of implementation on others."

And government alone can't slim children, he said.

"Kids need to get off the couch and away from the computer and onto a soccer field or basketball court," he said. "Our young people should be taught by parents, teachers and mentors about the benefits of a healthy lifestyle and to pick active, rather than passive, recreational activities."
Remove their chairs. It will get them out of the sitting position and save on furniture costs. Boom.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:19 PM   #35
Melody Glasgow

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post

5% of ED visits (at least) are for alcohol related injuries. 1,869,989 annually in 2001. We should ban alcohol.

It also seems odd that you would want to "ban" cheap food, and then discuss people who can't afford healthcare. Sounds like eugenics in a painful fashion to me.

I never said ban, and I don't believe any of it should be banned. I do think, however, that consumers of these products should pay the real price of these things and it shouldn't fall on the shoulders of the people who take care of themselves.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:32 PM   #36
Melody Glasgow

Profile:

Oh, and here's a little stat for you: Medical procedures relating to obesity cost $147 Billion in 2008 in the US. How much of this do you think fell on the American taxpayer?

Source: http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/causes/economics.html
wfs
Old 06-02-2011, 03:38 PM   #37
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Oh, and here's a little stat for you: Medical procedures relating to obesity cost $147 Billion in 2008 in the US. How much of this do you think fell on the American taxpayer?

Source: http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/causes/economics.html
wfs
Well, that's good for your case, if there wasn't obesity the fat tax wouldn't bring in any revenue now, would it?

And I don't know how much fell on the US taxpayer, and neither do you or that's the statistic you would've quoted.

How has more legislation or taxation ever fixed this type of problem?

Last edited by Robert D Taylor Jr : 06-02-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:41 PM   #38
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
I never said ban, and I don't believe any of it should be banned. I do think, however, that consumers of these products should pay the real price of these things and it shouldn't fall on the shoulders of the people who take care of themselves.
So, which dangerous hobbies do you have? Did you know that squatting below parallel will totally wreck your knees?

This isn't a road that anyone who enjoys a fringe sport should be eager to follow.

Katherine
Old 06-02-2011, 08:46 PM   #39
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Quote:

So wise this one is...
Old 06-03-2011, 10:25 AM   #40
Melody Glasgow

Profile:

Quote:
How has more legislation or taxation ever fixed this type of problem?

http://tobaccocontrol.bmj.com/conten...ppl_1/i62.full

Quote:
Results: Tobacco company documents provide clear evidence on the impact of cigarette prices on cigarette smoking, describing how tax related and other price increases lead to significant reductions in smoking, particularly among young persons. This information was very important in developing the industry's pricing strategies, including the development of lower price branded generics and the pass through of cigarette excise tax increases, and in developing a variety of price related marketing efforts, including multi-pack discounts, couponing, and others.

Conclusions: Pricing and price related promotions are among the most important marketing tools employed by tobacco companies. Future tobacco control efforts that aim to raise prices and limit price related marketing efforts are likely to be important in achieving reductions in tobacco use and the public health toll caused by tobacco.