CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 12-19-2006, 11:28 AM   #1
Steve Liberati

Profile:
CrossFit Facility Owners,

Is CrossFit you're only source of income? or is it supplemental?

Just wondering the commitment level required and the expected income level running a CrossFit gym.

Although I realize most are not in it for the money, curious to hear more feedback regarding the financial side of it.

In other words are the numbers there to truly make it work or is everything, mostly based on potential at this point?
Old 12-19-2006, 12:57 PM   #2
Skip Chase

Profile:
Full time. You can go to our blogspot to see our schedule. We opened in a gymnastics facility (rented 600sq ft-although we had 7000sq ft from 5am-10am)Oct 3, 2005. We moved into our own 2337 sq ft facility April 15, 2006. Today we have 137 (93 gals,44 guys) consistent members (and maintaining steady growth).
We are expanding into another 2000 sq ft (adjacent space) the 1 st quarter of 2007.

www.mtbakercrossfit.blogspot.com

We do not stop playing because we grow old.
We grow old because we stop playing.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:56 PM   #3
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
We are extremely part time right now (few hours a week), but growing steadily.

Full time is definately an option some day. I would just be careful to 'jump the gun' and start having to take money away from growth to feed yourself.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:52 PM   #4
Matt Munson

Profile:
Part time right now, but that will change. Things are going and growing well here in Houston.
Matt
Old 12-21-2006, 05:52 PM   #5
Mark Miller

Profile:
Is anyone planning on staying fulltime at current job for an extended period say 5-10 years while still operating Crossfit? I am a cop about 9 years away from retirement. I see a market for this type of programming but couldn't go fulltime for a long while. Any body planning on leaving a law enforcement job early and running crossfit facility fulltime?
Old 12-21-2006, 07:14 PM   #6
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
We slammed the back door (our escape route) about a year ago. No way to go but up.
We're operating mainly on a personal training basis, but we are able to consistently get $45 for 30 minute sessions.
However, I believe that our group sessions will eventually be our main source of training income.
Just look at Skip's success with groups!
That should be a great encouragement to all who are willing to work as smart and hard as him.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:51 PM   #7
Skip Chase

Profile:
Frank, Thanks for the kind words.

However, we are a 'strange breed' at Mt Baker CrosssFit. We don't do group classes nor do we do much, (if any) private sessions.

I decided a long time ago that I did not like group classes. After finding CF, I decided to shy away from privates, because during a private, I am only able to help one client. I want to help more clients.

We open at 5:30am and the 'training period' lasts till 10am. From 5:30 till 10, clients may enter at their convenience. They warm-up and then receive a workout. I have 'staggered starts' so I am able to manage resourses (equipment) better, and the clients feel like they are getting individual training so it is a win-win. At times, I have up to 1-3 different workouts going on at the same time.

We have a noon session, and typically, those who attend (5-12) may do the same workout. We reopen at 3:30 and train till 7:30. Again during that day part a client may enter at their convenience.

I believe, the management method I chose (managing clients and equipment)has had a tremendous effect on our growth, and kept additional money for equipment, in the bank. (keeping equip. start-up costs down) Also, one trainer (me) is able to manage more clients (130+). We have a total of 44 training hours per week. 8 of those hours are taught by staff. (yoga, bootcamp and kb's) My wife helps during peak hours (5:30-7:30am/4:30-6:30pm), keeping employee manhours at a minimum.

The only 'group' classes we have are our kb, yoga and bootcamp.

www.mtbakercrossfit.blogspot.com

(Message edited by abselite on December 21, 2006)
Old 12-22-2006, 04:35 AM   #8
Jeff Chapman

Profile:
Skip,
AWESOME info. I have been in the wellness game for quite awhile, and did programming for a couple of large facilities, and never ONCE thought of staggering on open hours, to give the perception of personal training.

Thanks.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:56 AM   #9
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Skip that is a very interesting model. I like it.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:34 AM   #10
Bill Russell

Profile:
Skip,

That's great info, thanks for sharing.

I have a similar plan on paper for opening in my town. I was thinking of having an open period like yours from 6 to 9:30, and another 4-6:30. I would allow other trainers I know to use the space for their private training sessions during the day, rented to them on a per session basis. The 6:30-7:30pm and 7:30-8:30pm slots would be for group classes, Hapkido, KBs, Crossfit basics, etc.

You made me think about a noon-time Crossfit session. I was attempting to keep my time open through the day to handle my other business interests though. Thanks again for the ideas.

BR