CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:51 AM   #1
Mike Steadman

Profile:
CrossFit in the Inner City (Newark, NJ)

Greetings All,

My name is Mike Steadman, I'm a 2010 graduate of the United States Naval Academy and Marine Infantry Officer stationed in Camp Lejeune, NC. I am leaving the Marine Corps in May to teach Physical Education at a boys school located in the inner city, St. Benedict's Preparatory School. The school is located in an extremely low socioeconomic area, with the majority of students living below or at the poverty line. It is a private school with more than 85% of the students tuition funded by private donors. In an effort to promote health and fitness as well as expose young African-American and Hispanic males to the CrossFit Community, I'd like start a non-profit affiliate at the school. I would like to fund raise and help raise support for the kids. My goal is expose the kids to the CrossFit community and also keep them off the streets. I feel it is important to reach out to the community because of the ability to influence the youth as both active crossfitters and positive role models. I am aware of Steve's Club and have been conducting research. I am not trying to reinvent the wheel. However, I feel starting an official affiliate is also a great option. Saint Benedict's Prep will cover the insurance, so the only question I'm curious about is whether or not we'll be required to pay an annual affiliation fee? I'm attaching a couple links for those interested in gaining a better understanding of St. Benedict's Preparatory School.

To make the story a little bitt more personal, since I've started CrossFit, I've been the only African-American member of my gym. I compete at local competitions, where I'm one of a handful. This has been my observation over the last two years. My goal is to expose more young black males to benefits of joining the community. It appears there is virtually no CrossFit program in Newark proper, and I hope to change that. The murder rate continues to climb, and the Mayor is looking for new ways to get kids off the street. Any support or feedback as I pursue this endeavor is greatly appreciated.

P.S. I completed my Level 1, USAW Sports Performance Coach Level 1, and will be attending the Pendlay Level 1 at the end of the month. I'm also a certified USA Boxing Coach.

http://www.sbp.org/RelId/33637/ISvars/default/Home.htm

http://www.nytimes.com/1981/08/16/ny...ess-story.html

http://www.pbs.org/program/the-rule/