CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 10-17-2011, 10:51 AM   #1
Tim Graham

Profile:
Low Testosterone

This Friday I am getting my first blood test done since going Paleo and joining Crossfit. I am mainly going so I can get a baseline for my cholesterol and Tri's. I am also going to have them check my testosterone level. I am only 23 but I am exhibiting a lot of symtoms of low testosterone (sharp decrease in libido, icreased irritability, and decreased energy). I have been feeling these symtoms for about a year. This happens to fall within my timeline of my weight increase. I weight 240# now. Down from 250# since going Paleo. My question is, if i get the results I think I'm going to get from my physician (low T) and they recommend therapy, should I do it? I'm only 23 and don't want to make a poor mistake this early in life. I'm doing several things to try and correct my problems naturally. I eat red meat regularly, supplement ZMA, I'm getting more sleep, trying to decrease my BF%, and doing heavy squats and deadlifts frequently. I just don't want to get put on testosterone therapy and cause a long term problem if there is someting else I can do. Should I just stick it out for a while and see if my levels increase with my decreasing weight and improved diet?
Old 10-17-2011, 01:14 PM   #2
Tony Colicchio

Profile:
Re: Low Testosterone

What is does your current workout week look like?
Old 10-17-2011, 01:47 PM   #3
Tim Graham

Profile:

I just finished a month long fundementals class and my first week in "general population". I am typically doing Mon, Tues, Wed, Fri, and Sat.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:11 PM   #4
David Hansen

Profile:

You're 23. All of your symptoms, plus your age, point inexorably to "getting out of college and entering the real world syndrome". It's a serious but common disorder indicated by and cased by the following:

1. Reduced libido. Living life on the downward side of the male sexual peak, and interacting with women who are far less attractive than the college hotties you are accustomed to.

2. Irritability. Realizing that your coworkers' office politics, drama, and mediocre work ethic are a far cry from the idealistic images of collaboration and achievement you held in your youthful, optimistic mind just a few years earlier.

3. Decreased energy. Remember when you would eat a handful of candy then spend all afternoon running around the house? Yeah. Aging takes its toll on energy levels, and the decline starts at 7. You're already 16 years beyond that. Soon you will discover coffee or red bull, which will delay the inevitable for another 10 years or so.

I guess the point I'm trying to make here is wait until you actually have test results before spending time and emotional energy planning out how you're going to adjust your life around a diagnosis that very well may not come. Plenty of people experience these symptoms around your age, and it's not the result of "low testosterone".

Nothing wrong with getting the blood work done, but don't work yourself up over what it could be until you have the results. It's wasted mental energy that doesn't accomplish anything.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:24 PM   #5
Tim Graham

Profile:

Thanks for the reply. I will heed your advice and wait for the test results before I get to worried. As for the rest of your post, you seem a bit disenfranchised. I'm married to a beautiful crossfitting woman, and I've been working full-time since 2007 and love what I do. As for the sugar, that is probably true to an extent, and I have seen some increase in energy since going paleo.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:06 PM   #6
Tim Graham

Profile:

Got my results back today. As expected, my testosterone was low. 269 to be exact. From what I've read, between 600-630 is normal for my age. I also got a lipid panel.

LDL - 110
HDL - 35
Tri's - 73
Old 10-19-2011, 03:22 PM   #7
Steven McDermott

Profile:

Between 350-1200 is a normal range. With this being said "normal" means that this range is the most common range to show up when men are tested. Normal for you may be 269.

I asked my doctor about testosterone after reading an article for work and this is what he said. Just thought I would share that perspective.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:30 AM   #8
Spencer James

Profile:

THere's a chapter in 4 Hour Body about increasing testosterone. If memory serves, Ferriss essentially advocates cod liver oil + butter, vitamin D, cold showers, and maybe a few other things. These are probably things that a number of CrossFitters might do anyway, so I'm not sure how much added effect you can achieve. Might be worth reading, though.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #9
Tim Graham

Profile:

A study I read from the Univirsity of Florida showed that testosterone levels were proportional to BMI. So theoretically my levels should be slowly increasing now that I am losing weight. Same with my HDL.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:34 AM   #10
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hansen View Post
You're 23. All of your symptoms, plus your age, point inexorably to "getting out of college and entering the real world syndrome". It's a serious but common disorder indicated by and cased by the following:

1. Reduced libido. Living life on the downward side of the male sexual peak, and interacting with women who are far less attractive than the college hotties you are accustomed to.

2. Irritability. Realizing that your coworkers' office politics, drama, and mediocre work ethic are a far cry from the idealistic images of collaboration and achievement you held in your youthful, optimistic mind just a few years earlier.

3. Decreased energy. Remember when you would eat a handful of candy then spend all afternoon running around the house? Yeah. Aging takes its toll on energy levels, and the decline starts at 7. You're already 16 years beyond that. Soon you will discover coffee or red bull, which will delay the inevitable for another 10 years or so.
Whoa-
Hold on... at 23? Was this post in jest?

Even though the "male sexual peak" (that you reference in item 1) is supposed to be at 18, I don't think you'll find many guys who agree with your assessment that the fall is that precipitous from 18 to 23. Hell, not even from 18 to 33. I'm 41 and I can tell you that I still have fire in my belly.

To the OP:
Your blood panel looks good, but the T is low on the scale. Good luck with whatever choice you make in your therapy.
I think you will find as you continue to lose weight and get into shape, your zest for life will increase. Good luck with the switch to Paleo.
One note of caution - irritability and decreased energy may also be signs of over-training. Be sure you get plenty of rest.