CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-02-2011, 10:06 PM   #11
Joey Powell

Profile:
Re: Grip Strength Inprovement vs. Recovery Time

Just a word to clarify: Research shows that a weakened grip is a sure sign of beginning to over train. The reason most 'Strength" programs limit heavy deadlifts (SS, 5-3-1, Texas Method, etc.) to 1X5 instead of 3X5 or 5X5 like squats and only once a week...because tight gripping is BRUTAL on the CNS. If you have clients with Cardiac Disease or are seeing a decrease in performance after several days that challenge grip in a few week of training...chances are, you need to back off challenging your grip a bit. If you were to Heart Rate Monitor Deadlifts with straps versus deads with grip you will see a drastic difference. Blood Pressure as well. There are implications to the hormonal system, adrenal system, and central nervous system you need to understand to max load in your hands and spine that Deadlifts produce and harness them to make you stronger...not weaker.

Point: understand WHY all the heroes of old did what they did, study it, and verify it to your heart's content. They were not dumbasses. Old time strong men were frickin' brilliant compare to many of today's experts.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:12 AM   #12
Michael Kelley

Profile:
Re: Grip Strength Inprovement vs. Recovery Time

Good advice. That may be an explanation for why I have backslid on pullups lately. For a while I was doing a couple of sets of sub-max dead hang pullups after every workout, and after initial improvement I hit a plateau, and lately I feel like they have gotten weaker.