CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-11-2008, 08:00 AM   #1
Alberto Flosi

Profile:
The Zone, Crossfit, and my wife

I got my wife to start Zoning a couple of months ago and two weeks ago I finally got her to start Crossfitting. Trust me, this is an exciting moment in my life.

At 5'6" 144lbs. she is eating 10 blocks a day and crossfitting 3 times a week. I would estimate that she is about 25% body fat. Since she has been zoning for a couple of months she was expecting very quick results when adding Crossfit 4 times a week. She is essentially at the same weight she was when she started Zoning two months ago.

I know she is getting frustrated that the weight isn't coming off.

What adjustments if any would you guys suggest?
Old 04-11-2008, 08:05 AM   #2
Sierra Carter

Profile:
Re: The Zone, Crossfit, and my wife

I've been crossfitting for 5 months and zoning for 4, with great success. Can you give an idea of what her meals are composed of Also, I'm 5'2" and 116 lbs. and I do 11 blocks a day - 10 seems very low for her size...

Last edited by Sierra Carter : 04-11-2008 at 08:06 AM. Reason: want to ask another question
Old 04-11-2008, 08:11 AM   #3
Alberto Flosi

Profile:

Sure, her protein source is usually either egg whites, chicken breast, turkey , cottage cheese, salmon, or tuna. Carbs usually, brocolli, green beans, blueberries, tomatoes, . Fat macademias, almonds, and olive oil. She also occaisionally (every other day) has a zone bar. She is pretty strict by my standards.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:15 AM   #4
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

Check measurements and the fit of her clothes!

My weight didn't change over a year, but my body sure did, as I added muscle. I went down two whole dress sizes!

Susie
Old 04-11-2008, 08:18 AM   #5
Sam Marusich

Profile:

Susie is right on this. I've leveled off at about 160, but my pants are falling off now without a belt.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:21 AM   #6
Alberto Flosi

Profile:

If she was 130 lbs I would agree that clothing would be a good indicator but at 145 and 25-30% body fat clearly she has some room to lean out. Wouldn't you agree?

Also, try as I may I will never get her to admit progress if the number on the scale isn't falling. At least not at this stage.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:26 AM   #7
Sierra Carter

Profile:

Is everything in the 1:1:1 ratio? And why so few blocks?
Old 04-11-2008, 08:33 AM   #8
Alberto Flosi

Profile:

Everything is at 1:1:1 ratio.

She does 10 blocks because she read Nicole's "Getting of the Crack" article and sge figures that if someone at Nicole's activity level is at 10 block's the why would she, being at a much lower activity level, eat any more than Nicole does.

Again, I am not saying she is being logical. I am hoping to get suggestions for adjustments at this point and reasons to make those adjustments so I can make a case.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:47 AM   #9
Roelant Bergen

Profile:

yea, but Nicole is a Top tier crossfit athlete (which saying that probably doesn't do her justice), and I remember that coach Glassman said that once you get to a certain level, you start to tweak the zone anyways (in the case of the top dawgs, they jack the fat blocks way up, from what I remember). Point is, everybody gets to a base-line zone and then take it from there. I've been on the zone for 5 weeks now, weighing and measuring and everything. CrossFitting 4 days a week, I went from 207lbs to 185! not to mention I have PRd all my lifts and my metcons are getting way better. My girlfriend is also reaping benefits, albeit slower, but I'm guessing that has more to do with female physiology, but the point is, it WILL get better, you just have to get her to stick with it. After eating this way, I'm never going back to the way I used to, and I can tell you neither will my girlfriend.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:49 AM   #10
Roelant Bergen

Profile:

forgot to mention, how does she feel after every meal? sleepy? maybe decrease 1 carb block, hungry? add a fat block, etc. that's also important.