CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-24-2013, 09:28 AM   #1
David Drury

Profile:
Cool Truly inspired : but can I have my cake and eat it.

Hey there.

A little background before I post my question. Im from berkshire England m31 6'2" 218 llb (99kg). I have been your stereotypical gym rat for many years, initially (probably like every other 15-16 yr old) I wanted big arms and chest, I was one if the skinnier kids in our year. Then a few years later came the "bro science" approach all upper body and limited lower body (Read a few high rep sets on the leg press as squats were too hard.)

I then decided to subscribe to a popular muscle magazine were I read up on and practised alot of the theories it preached. Compound exercises combined with some isolation work 4 sets of 10 blah blah blah you know the drill. I made good gains and remained pretty lean too.

Now let me bring you up to present day, after years of following these routines I became bored and a bit disillusioned With whole routine of working out until I came across Dan john on a YouTube clip teaching Where I learned basic oly lift techniques that I implemented into my training there weren't many bro's doing them in the gym. From this I came across (drum roll please).... "fran".

Wow a bolt of adrenaline hit me and my next work out after a warm up I tried fran (I am fortunate to have access to a gym at work were know one can see me cry) which is what I did after aforementioned workout. The word after means by definition that I actually finished it... That's a negative!!!

What happened next was whilst flicking through the latest edition of muscle and fitness magazine and low and behold rich froning is on the cover. After reading his articles in previous editions. I am truly inspired to just jump right in and get involved with crossfit, the whole community, the look the marketing the values really truly inspiring.... I truly believe in the next 18-24 months the sport of fitness is just going to explode of the face of the earth.

That being said I have a tendency to question if I am doing the right thing. All my training life has been to build an impressive physique (yes I'm still working on that) and have a good platform in all the functional strength moves. Can I still maintain my muscle mass by solely undertaking the wod or is it something I could use as a session once twice a week combined with my normal gym work.

I realise I have rambled on a bit here but any advice you can give is appreciated.

Many thanks.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:01 PM   #2
David Drury

Profile:
Wink Re: Truly inspired : but can I have my cake and eat it.

Maybe I rambled on a bit to much ha ha nevermind... I'll keep my posts short and sweet in future.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:29 PM   #3
Daniel O'Brien

Profile:
Re: Truly inspired : but can I have my cake and eat it.

Hey, saw you stopped by my noob intro and wanted to do the same for you.

Very common history that I have heard a lot of. Nothing wrong with it at all. We all went to look good and perform the same! One of the things I love about my journey through fitness is I am always changing and reassessing goals. I think that's one of the things I am drawn to about CF. TONS of workouts to do so lots of variation to keep it fun and interesting. It appears to help improve pretty much every aspect (speed/strength/endurance/etc and if you keep food inline it will of course greatly change your body composition)

I hope I don't step on any toes but from my non experienced in CF opinion, As long as you are keeping your nutrition inline you should have no problem maintaining ( probably will see an increase even) with your LBM.

I am a big Dan John fan. Read a book of his and constantly watching clips. Would love to meet him someday as he seems like a great person.

Are you planning on finding a local box or just going to do your own thing?

Old 01-25-2013, 05:04 AM   #4
David Drury

Profile:
Smile Re: Truly inspired : but can I have my cake and eat it.

Hey thanks for taking the time to post a reply. The nearest box is a bit of a drive away, this shouldn't be an issue but what with other responsibilities it is I'm afraid.

I am a member of a gym where I can get away with some skills work and maybe wods that don't require me to monopolise a lot of equipment.

That being said I am fortunate to have a gym in work which I can use for an hour and your pretty much on your own.

How is your programming are you just following wods from main sites?
Old 01-25-2013, 05:26 AM   #5
Paulo Santos

Profile:

If your goal is to maintain your size and strength, you should incorporate a lot of strength into your programming. There are a ton of ways to do it, which is up to you and the equipment you have.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:37 AM   #6
David Drury

Profile:

Thanks for the comments, maybe I just need to stop procrastinating and jump in and get involved and immerse myself in the crossfit lifestyle and community.

Thanks again.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:36 AM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

To expand on what Paulo said, look into 5/3/1 and GSLP. They're both easy ways to combine heavy lifting and CF-style conditioning, and will do a lot better job of helping you get bigger and stronger than would the CF.com workouts.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #8
Ian Nigh

Profile:

Your best bet is to find a good quality affiliate gym and get some coaching. Talk to them about your goals and get after them.

You can do it on your own, but there will be somewhat of a learning curve and nothing can take the place of a competent coach.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #9
John Holcombe

Profile:

Been crossfitting for about 9 months now and I've gaind 10-15 pounds and my bodyfat has gone down a little because I have more visible ab definition than before. My gym also incorporates a strength portion before every WOD each day. By far most of the weight I have gained has been in my legs. I know how you feel, part of the reason I train is to look good too. That used to be all I cared about but as I've been getting more into crossfit I care about that less and I think it's only helped me in that category.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:09 PM   #10
Thom Bates

Profile:

Hi David, my first post on here but reading your post reminded me of me and I thought I would chuck my 2 cents in!

I was in exactly the same boat as you before I started Crossfit. I trained a conventional weight training style for years and I wanted to get bigger etc etc. I am no man mountain, 6'0 and was at 200# before crossfit. After 8 months or so, I now fluctuate between 187 and 193. Am I bothered? Not in the slightest although once upon a time I would have been. Why? Because I may have dropped a few pounds but my weights keep going up on deadlift, front and back squats, weighted pull ups, cleans, basically the important stuff and they are a pretty good indicator of strength. I am glad to sacrifice a few pounds of bulk if im getting stronger.

Now, on top of that, my first ever benchmark was Fran as I thought it looked fairly easy on paper!!! 13ish minutes later my mind was made up, I was hopelessly less fit and strong than I assumed I was. Thats now down to 5:11, still a long way to go but a massive improvment. The truth is, to Echo what John said about caring less, for me, my goals and priorities changed massively. Jump in to Crossfit and wheather you 'look good' will soon be FAR less important than your max height box jump, or your Helen time etc etc.

I go to CF box at home but I spend a lot of time away and have to programme for myself. I tend to cycle 6 weeks-ish strength work before a Wod, just simple 5 x 5 stuff on the major lifts mixed up with the odd 1RM effort and then for another 6 weeks ish, spend a little while working on either gymnastic type movements or higher rep/lower weight lifts like 'death by fron squats', before a Wod. Heaps of other possibilities and better advise to be had, but I would say GO FOR IT!!!