CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:53 PM   #1
Joseph L. Roberts

Profile:
least/sq ft of your CF location

I'm curious as to the monthly lease to sq ft ratio of the CF affiliates on here.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:57 PM   #2
Todd Lynch

Profile:
Re: least/sq ft of your CF location

We are currently paying $1/SQFT/month. Our lease included buildout by landlord

"Train hard or stay home"
Old 08-03-2008, 07:43 PM   #3
Joseph L. Roberts

Profile:

Right now I'm being offered an old auto shop, 1800 sq ft (600 office/1200 open garage) for 800 dollars.

Another location 1800 sq ft for 2000/month. However this place is on a huge intersection in a very busy part of town. However can't really beat the first offer though.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:41 PM   #4
Nick Hobby

Profile:

I am about to move into a 1,500 square foot space with an additional 600 square foot cement slab area on the side. I got it for $800 per month. I looked around for a while. Everything else was $1-$1.25 per square foot. When I saw this place I knew I could not pass it up.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:16 AM   #5
Skip Chase

Profile:

Our Mount Vernon facility=4700sf@$.75/sf
Our Oak Harbor facility=2100sf@$1/sf

I'm going to jail...please help bail me out! www.joinmda.org/skagittelu/mtbakercrossfit
Old 08-04-2008, 11:31 AM   #6
Stephen Flamm

Profile:

Looking at two spots today, one is 4700 sf for 1500/month, the other is 3000 sf for 750/month.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:34 AM   #7
Zack Murphy

Profile:

Joseph, that's always the $64k question: larger, off the beaten path and cheaper? Or nicer, better location, more expensive?

My partner and I are in the same boat. Looking at a pretty nice location, 4400 sqft, $1.50/sqft, but we're in a pricier area and want to be central to our core clients. We looked at places all the way up to $3/sqft and couldn't justify it. They'd blow us up big, we think, but there's a point where the ROI just wouldn't be there.

But we know full well that we could find something for half that price if we're willing to do the old-auto-body-shop option.

All you can do is project ROI. Your overhead as best you can, project your membership/training/etc revenue and see what the numbers look like.

Just starting out, though, taking the more expensive place with the much higher visibility is very tempting. Costs more, sure, but could help you get established much more quickly and with far less marketing/advertising.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:35 PM   #8
Joseph L. Roberts

Profile:

Yeah it's one to defintley think long and hard over. I have to weigh every option.

For example the 2000/month location sits at the base of a brand new hotel. not to mention a mile down from a historic part of town that is really starting to grow with new business and a mass constrution of high end condos.

Helk, I would just be half tempted to live in the facility and look at it as the ultimate garage gym for my house LOL. Just get all my toiletries from the hotel and cut them a group rate on workouts hahaha.