CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-09-2006, 04:41 PM   #1
Scott Parker

Profile:
So after being an advocate and fairly strict follower of the paleo diet for about three years i am giving it up. The reason? I can't gain weight, or keep weight on for that matter! I am 30 years old, 6'2" tall and weigh 170. If I don't eat religiously i drop down to 165, which isn't so bad because that's the weight i compete at, but i really want to get up to the 185 weight class. I do have a medium frame so i don't look emaciated (at the last tournament the people weighing me in didn't believe i weighed 170 with my gi, thought i weighed 185). anyway, i am still going to retain some paleo foundations like no salt, staying away from refined sugar, and will be adding very little dairy, soy milk, and (oh, no!) whole grain organic breads and whole wheat omega-3 pasta and protein supplements. Seriously, all i do is eat (and i try to eat 1gm of protein per pound of bodyweight everyday), but since i started training bjj AND doing crossfit it's been a lost cause. i will keep everyone posted on my progress, and any comments or questions are always appreciated. thanks in advance!
Old 10-09-2006, 05:02 PM   #2
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Yeah eating an excess amount of calories is probably not an easy task on a paleo diet. Maybe try incorporating some brown rice into your diet while you increase the other macros (namely fats such as olive oil and such). I bet it can be frustrating and stressful (not to mention expensive!) at times shoveling away tons of food and not achieving the results you'd expect. As a last resort, I'd also look into a low dose test cycle. I think if done right (with proper precautions and guidance) the up-side largely outweighs the downside. Food for thought.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:26 PM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Try upping to 1.5g per lb bodyweight of protein. You may have just never hit the right number. Also you could mess around with Paleo during the week and carb load on the weekends to keep lean without putting on fat too. In the end it's what works for you. Don't just stick with one thing, always tweak it specific for your body type and physical demands until you reach your goals.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:50 PM   #4
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Gaining weight is not that complicated; record what you eat and weigh yourself every two weeks. If your scale weight hasn't gone up at all add 500 kcals a day. Repeat until you are at your desired weight. I am a thin guy too. I am up to 195. On my bad days where I only get 4000 kcals I dont grow. When I eat 5000kcals a day every day my weight goes up. If you are under weight don't worry about how fat you are for at least six months. If you tend to run thin naturally it should not be hard to trim off any fat you have acquired.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:13 PM   #5
Yael Grauer

Profile:
If you insist on eating them you might want to presoak your grains (and legumes) before cooking them to neutralize the phytic acid, especially if you've been eating Paleo for a long time.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:44 PM   #6
Tim Weaver

Profile:
I have the opposite problem. I seem to gain weight no matter what I do, or don't, eat. :-)
Old 10-10-2006, 01:04 AM   #7
Ralph Coates

Profile:
depending on your tolerance to dairy, why not stick to a paleo diet but just add in x amount of raw milk each day? I find that the easiest way to add some calories without radically overhauling my entire diet.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:38 AM   #8
Chris Forbis

Profile:
Scott-

If you have the $ to swing it, check out the 75% lean ground beef from U.S. Wellness. Buy in bulk (50 lbs) and it is less than 4.10 a pound delivered. 1300 calories per pound (70g of protein).
Old 10-10-2006, 01:47 AM   #9
Ralph Coates

Profile:
sorry, just thinking aloud here - why not finish (or start) every meal with a 'short' of olive oil? Still paleo, and easy calories... doggcrapp followers do this, and whatever you may think of their methods they're effective for packing on mass.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:45 AM   #10
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
I remember I think it was Dan John in some article said that he has his guys sipping on olive oil all day long.....i tried that once....Ugghhhh....