CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-17-2012, 03:08 AM   #1
Lawrence West Gipson

Profile:
How Often to Do One Rep Max

I'm in my fourth week of weight training, feeling good, gaining weight (mostly muscle, if the scale and tape measure can be believed) and just all around pretty happy with myself. Each week I've successfully increased the load for each exercise from between 10 to 20 lbs, so my progress is also noticeable performance wise. Right now, I'm sticking pretty strictly to SS's outline of 5 rep warm ups followed by three sets of 5 reps at the end for the work portion of the workout.

I was wondering how often I should do 1RMs for my workouts, and how I should layout a workout for them? I've read a few articles in the CFJ about this, but they mostly tend to assume the reader has a good idea about how to do program a 1RM day, but I certainly do not. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:43 AM   #2
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:
Re: How Often to Do One Rep Max

Initially it will change for a beginner more frequently. I tend to prefer before a new program to establish my 1 RM and after to gauge improvements. Otherwise every few months.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:43 AM   #3
Lan Halbert

Profile:

Give this link a read (wfs): http://www.marylandpowerlifting.com/...?contentID=157

What it says specifically about your question:
Quote:
Some form of periodization usually works best when training to improve your 1RM. Resist the urge to retest your lifts the following week. Unless you have some heavenly revelation from above, your lifts won’t improve that quickly. Trust me, you’ll want to devote at least a good 8-12 weeks to hard training before you test again.

In fact, many seasoned, competitive powerlifters only compete two to three times a year. Take a page from that book and pick two to three dates per year when you plan to reassess your 1RMs. Once you select your dates, count back to the current date. Now you have the number of weeks you have to work with.

Mapping out an annual training plan is indicative of a trainee who is transitioning into a different stage of his or her lifting career. Intermediate and advanced trainees are wise to create a roadmap toward a goal. A training plan serves as a blueprint or an outline but is not a contract. It gives you the flexibility to adjust on the fly and make changes when necessary.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:00 AM   #4
Jonathan Munoz

Profile:

I like this rep scheme. I almost always seem to hit pr's doing it.

Start with a warmup set of about 10 reps. About 50% of your 1RM

then...

7-5-3-3-1-1

Works like a charm.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

I'd go until you stall on the 3x5 rep scheme, then take a few days to maybe a week off, and the try some 1RMs. Although, you don't NEED to do a 1RM.

You can easily tell you're getting stronger with 5 reps as well, which is one of the reasons why so many people like GSLP because the 5+ sets allow you to go all out.

For example, I've done 2 rounds of GSLP and haven't done a 1RM on my squat yet. 1st time around I hit 295 for 7 on my 5+ set, and this time around I hit 295 for 12 on the 5+ set. I can easily see that I am now stronger than I was before without maxing out.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:31 AM   #6
Danny Bostwick

Profile:

Depends on who you ask, those guys at Westside are maxing out every week, granted they're at another level. However, I every few weeks work up to a heavy single & end up just saying screw it and I go for it.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:40 AM   #7
Mike Jenkins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Bostwick View Post
Depends on who you ask, those guys at Westside are maxing out every week, granted they're at another level. However, I every few weeks work up to a heavy single & end up just saying screw it and I go for it.
They arent maxing on the traditional lifts for the most part, they're doing a variation of a deadlift, bench or squat with bands or chains. They are peaking to max at a meet at the end of a training cycle.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:02 PM   #8
Danny Bostwick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jenkins View Post
They arent maxing on the traditional lifts for the most part, they're doing a variation of a deadlift, bench or squat with bands or chains. They are peaking to max at a meet at the end of a training cycle.
Yes, very true. My apologies I should have added that.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:27 PM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I have a doubles back squat day that frequently ends with the last rep being a single besides doing FSx1 every week.

They might not be a true max rep since I generally Olympic Lift before doing them.