CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2010, 11:31 PM   #1
Mike Wright
Member Mike Wright is offline
 
Mike Wright's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Spokane  WA
Posts: 411
Help me spend $5K for mil PT program

May possibly be getting $5000 to buy equipment for PT program, I need some ideas on what to buy. Here are the parameters:

- 24 students, low to decent fitness levels
- 5 45 min sessions a week, for 5 weeks
- Have a full b-ball court for space

Thanks in advance, Mike.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:46 AM   #2
Casey Raiford
Affiliate Casey Raiford is offline
 
Casey Raiford's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ft Meade  MD
Posts: 1,364
Re: Help me spend $5K for mil PT program

Are you going to be training 24 or so at the same time?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:34 AM   #3
Donald Clarkson
Affiliate Donald Clarkson is offline
 
Donald Clarkson's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fort Meade  MD
Posts: 149
Re: Help me spend $5K for mil PT program

I have a pretty decent list of equipment I provide to units. It's geared for training about 30 people. Shoot me your email and I'll send it to you.

Don
__________________
The strong are hard to kill. Be unstoppable.

http://www.crossfitbelair.com/
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:47 AM   #4
Casey Raiford
Affiliate Casey Raiford is offline
 
Casey Raiford's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ft Meade  MD
Posts: 1,364
Re: Help me spend $5K for mil PT program

Hey Don can I get a copy of that too? You still have my email?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:19 AM   #5
Mike Wright
Member Mike Wright is offline
 
Mike Wright's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Spokane  WA
Posts: 411
Re: Help me spend $5K for mil PT program

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Raiford View Post
Are you going to be training 24 or so at the same time?
Yes. I can split them up, but I have all 24 for the same 45 min period.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:32 AM   #6
Donald Clarkson
Affiliate Donald Clarkson is offline
 
Donald Clarkson's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fort Meade  MD
Posts: 149
Re: Help me spend $5K for mil PT program

Absolutely Casey - anything for my former afiliate!

Can you shoot me your email once more? I am sure I have it somewhere but it will be faster if you just hit me with it again.

Don
__________________
The strong are hard to kill. Be unstoppable.

http://www.crossfitbelair.com/
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:21 PM   #7
J. Thomas Boss
Member J. Thomas Boss is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Washington  DC
Posts: 168
Re: Help me spend $5K for mil PT program

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wright View Post
Here are the parameters:

- 24 students, low to decent fitness levels
- 5 45 min sessions a week, for 5 weeks
- Have a full b-ball court for space
Mike, I've been an AF PTL and UFPM since the inception of our fitness program and, judging by your LIMFACs (or OPFACs, "opportunity factors," for the optimists out there) and what our company wants a fitness program to do, I would suggest the following:

- Buy a bootcamp kit (or two) from a fitness equipment distributor, e.g. Power Systems
- Choose one or two enthusiastic yet mature individuals to learn how to lead bootcamp-type classes
- Go to thrift shop and buy all of the used basketballs, and then visit a home refurbishing store to pick up a bag of sand and a bottle of Elmer's Glue-All, to make your own medicine balls
- CF Journal subscription
- PVC pipes

That should give you enough resources to train te five primary movements of exercise to various fitness levels:

Bend-and-lift (e.g. squatting)
Single-leg (e.g. lunging)
Pushing
Pulling
Rotational (spiral)

Feel free to look me up on the GAL, or IM me if you want more insight to where the AF is going with the fitness program.

Best of luck!

REFERENCE:
American Council of Exercise (ACE) (2010). Part III: The ACE Integrated Fitness Training Model. In: ACE Personal Trainer Manual (4th ed.), p. 89. San Diego, CA: ACE.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:37 PM   #8
Mike Wright
Member Mike Wright is offline
 
Mike Wright's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Spokane  WA
Posts: 411
Re: Help me spend $5K for mil PT program

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Thomas Boss View Post
Mike, I've been an AF PTL and UFPM since the inception of our fitness program and, judging by your LIMFACs (or OPFACs, "opportunity factors," for the optimists out there) and what our company wants a fitness program to do, I would suggest the following:

- Buy a bootcamp kit (or two) from a fitness equipment distributor, e.g. Power Systems
- Choose one or two enthusiastic yet mature individuals to learn how to lead bootcamp-type classes
- Go to thrift shop and buy all of the used basketballs, and then visit a home refurbishing store to pick up a bag of sand and a bottle of Elmer's Glue-All, to make your own medicine balls
- CF Journal subscription
- PVC pipes

That should give you enough resources to train te five primary movements of exercise to various fitness levels:

Bend-and-lift (e.g. squatting)
Single-leg (e.g. lunging)
Pushing
Pulling
Rotational (spiral)

Feel free to look me up on the GAL, or IM me if you want more insight to where the AF is going with the fitness program.

Best of luck!

REFERENCE:
American Council of Exercise (ACE) (2010). Part III: The ACE Integrated Fitness Training Model. In: ACE Personal Trainer Manual (4th ed.), p. 89. San Diego, CA: ACE.
Hopefully this is not what you are talking about:

http://www.power-systems.com/p-2942-...group-kit.aspx (WFS)

If that equipment will get us where the AF is headed in terms of fitness, then Im not sure I want to go.

Im looking into Rogue for the following:

http://www.roguefitness.com/cgi-bin/sc/order.cgi?__utma=1.2029563250.1284147497.128415592 9.1284160455.4&__utmb=1.23.10.1284160455&__utmc=1& __utmx=-&__utmz=1.1284147497.1.1.utmcsr=(direct)|utmccn=(d irect)|utmcmd=(none)&__utmv=-&__utmk=252544777 (WFS)

I figure the cheapest way to get 40-80# in the hands of each student is bags or bars.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:18 AM   #9
J. Thomas Boss
Member J. Thomas Boss is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Washington  DC
Posts: 168
Re: Help me spend $5K for mil PT program

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wright View Post
If that equipment will get us where the AF is headed in terms of fitness, then Im not sure I want to go.
BLUF: The AF has become very leery of brand-name fitness programs, taught by the overzealous and underexperienced, that eschew fitness industry standards for group fitness and result in injuries rendering formerly-healthy people non-deployable.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:02 AM   #10
Patrick Otis
Member Patrick Otis is offline
 
Patrick Otis's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mechanicsville  MD
Posts: 168
Re: Help me spend $5K for mil PT program

In my expericance. I have used Rouge, Again faster and Rage ( all of which are GSA) they were all very helpfull and had some great insight. I am not sure if anyone has been talked about this yet? The only thing I couldn' sell was an indoor rope climb? Outdoors no problem? I just recently outfitted my command with Rouge equipment. Giving these suppliers a call is really help full if you can provide goals, budget ( yours is insanly nice) number of athletes your in job is actually really easy. My biggest issue was storage of equipment.

ltr Pat
__________________
My blog W/F/S
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What can i spend these calories on? Jon Cowie Stuff and Nonsense 2 08-21-2010 11:38 AM
$80 to spend.... You decide on what.... Stephen Searcy Equipment 22 10-10-2008 10:56 AM
Ah man I need to spend more $$$ Rajib Ghosh Equipment 20 05-21-2008 12:17 AM
Help me spend my money Thomas Gerace Equipment 32 05-14-2007 09:43 AM
So how long did researchers spend on this? Scott Kustes Community 0 07-21-2005 07:07 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.