CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-28-2008, 04:42 PM   #1
Patrick Haskell

Profile:
Gymnastics Bodies WOD

Coach Sommers has finally started up his gymnastics workout of the day (wfs) this week. I'm actually getting back to the main page after almost a year doing other things, so I'm not about to dabble in something that would be wholly different for me, but I thought others might be interested. Maybe after I develop some better gymnastics fundamentals.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:10 PM   #2
Ryan Janus

Profile:
Re: Gymnastics Bodies WOD

This sounds really awesome. I used to be in gymnastics in high school, though I was never really great. I'd love to get back into it just for the workouts if nothing else, though. I had the best body of my life in high school gymnastics. That's the one time in my life I looked like the "after" picture - muscle definition, 6-pack abs, 8% body fat, etc. I know I'm 33 now (just turned 33 two days ago, in fact) but I know I can get at least close to that body if I train well.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:34 AM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

actually, i've been following the GB WOD a lot lately since I decided I would try it instead of making my own program for awhile. It took a stall last week with going to LA for the holidays but I should be back on it.

I've been thinking about adding either short metcons CF workouts or tabata sets or DrillsandSkills WOD as GPP metcon to end on.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:34 PM   #4
David Bott

Profile:

This site looks pretty cool, but it also looks like you HAVE to purchase the book in order to make heads or tails of the WoDs. I had a look at a couple of them and couldn't find any explanations of an "embedded BL" or "XR support position" anywhere.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:26 PM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

yep pretty much.

the embedded training program is kind of complicated. it seems to sort of be like negatives to a position or just getting into the position.

the terminology could get confusing.

XR support position just means Extreme Rings support. How the support can be done can vary from having the rings really close to your body or turned out with the rings slightly out from the body. I don't remember the book going over doing it with the rings turned in or elbows bent since that would mean the subject should probably go down a progression.

In each posted WOD, there is a topic on the forum where some people might explain or ask questions about the movements. Due to some of the terminology, I forget about movements in the book or have such terms for other movements in gymnastics.