CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 10-21-2008, 10:57 AM   #1
Gavin Steel

Profile:
life sucks

Hey folks...don't know if this has previously been done..had a quick search and couldn't find anything...if it has then SORRY!!!

Everyone likes a good moan, so thought it would be good to share bad luck experiences etc and just have a rant about life and how "unfair" it is...

So far this year I've had two cars written off thanks to idiots who cant drive. My ford was t-boned as I passed a junction and was totalled. Then 6 months later the mercedes I bought to replace the ford was t-boned and totalled as I passed a junction...two seperate junctions...two different idiots who hit me......Im now on car number 3 of 2008

In April I tore my right pectoral and partially tore my bicep benchpressing in my mates gym, using a smith machine...wont be doing that again.....

And to top it all off I recently failed a medical at work due to high sugar in my "sample"...I thought it was down to diet as it's happened before when I've went on a chocolate binge at the weekend....Two trips to the doctors and two blood tests later I'm being told I have diabetes...out of the blue...No symptoms and no family history

What is it they say about life kicking you while your down.....

Anyone else having the kind of year I am then feel free to chime in and have a rant.

Just remembered...my second xbox 360 has just ceased to be..it is bereft of life...it has gone to join the choir invisible....
Old 10-21-2008, 12:07 PM   #2
Jason David

Profile:
Re: life sucks

Take it easy dude...Everybody has tough times...If you want to feel better about yourself read the newspaper...Or if you want to be inspired watch the Kyle Maynard video from tha main site.

Life isn't easy all the time...if that were the case we wouldn't look forward to the good times as much!!
Old 10-21-2008, 12:14 PM   #3
James R. Climer

Profile:

Your glass is half full.

Not many people get to walk away from T-bone
car cashes that total their car, let alone 2 in 6 months.
You are either very lucky, or truly a man of Steel.

Now you know better than to use that smith machine
for anything except a high bar to support your legs
during handstand pushups.

Diabetes is tough, but you have the perfect reason
to tighten up on that diet.

I am sorry to hear of your string of setbacks.
Chin up! Move forward.

The dead X-box is a bad thing?

Last edited by James R. Climer : 10-21-2008 at 12:17 PM. Reason: xbox
Old 10-21-2008, 12:42 PM   #4
Gavin Steel

Profile:

Well...I have to say this isn't going the way I thought it would.......

I wasn't trying to put myself out there as a hard luck case and to seek pity....must be a british thing to enjoy having a moan and to find amusement in other peoples misfortune (within reason of course)...I realise that many folk have it a lot worse...it was meant to be a light hearted moaning thing about unusually unlucky times....think it got lost in translation.....

derek and clive aka peter cook and dudley moore done a skit trying to out do each other with tales of woe till it got to the the ridiculous and monty python have done similar.

I do agree though that the dead xbox thing is probably a blessing. Thought someone might have picked up on the monty python reference..

Think in hindsight this thread has the potential to go south rather quickly if mis interpreted......
Old 10-21-2008, 01:36 PM   #5
David Wood

Profile:

Gavin: nah, don't worry, I got your meaning.

I was going to follow up with " . . . and then you die" but it seemed maybe a bit over the top.

Seriously, a bad month (year) going on there. You have my sympathies. I do agree with James, though . . . being able to walk away from two T-bone collisions suggests you have somebody watching over you.

On the subject of "top this":

First guy at the bar: "When I was young, we were so poor we had to boil our shoe leather for stew!"

2nd guy: "You had shoes?"

1st guy: "Ok, my round . . ."
Old 10-21-2008, 02:45 PM   #6
Gavin Steel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wood View Post
Gavin: nah, don't worry, I got your meaning.

I was going to follow up with " . . . and then you die" but it seemed maybe a bit over the top.

Seriously, a bad month (year) going on there. You have my sympathies. I do agree with James, though . . . being able to walk away from two T-bone collisions suggests you have somebody watching over you.

First guy at the bar: "When I was young, we were so poor we had to boil our shoe leather for stew!"

2nd guy: "You had shoes?"

1st guy: "Ok, my round . . ."

David...Your a life saver... I had visions of this going horribly wrong and no-one getting where I was coming from.

I was expecting someone to come back with the old 'lost my job, caught my girlfriend in bed with my brother, house burned down...but I cant complain'.......I'll maybe keep the silly british humour to myself next time
Old 10-21-2008, 03:08 PM   #7
John Seiler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wood View Post
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
I was happier then and I had nothin'. We used to live in this tiny old house with great big holes in the roof.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
House! You were lucky to live in a house! We used to live in one room, all twenty-six of us, no furniture, 'alf the floor was missing, and we were all 'uddled together in one corner for fear of falling.
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
Eh, you were lucky to have a room! We used to have to live in t' corridor!
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
Oh, we used to dream of livin' in a corridor! Would ha' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woke up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House? Huh.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Well, when I say 'house' it was only a hole in the ground covered by a sheet of tarpaulin, but it was a house to us.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
We were evicted from our 'ole in the ground; we 'ad to go and live in a lake.
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
You were lucky to have a lake! There were a hundred and fifty of us living in t' shoebox in t' middle o' road.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
Cardboard box?
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
Aye.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at six o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of 'ot gravel, work twenty hour day at mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were lucky!
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
Well, of course, we had it tough. We used to 'ave to get up out of shoebox at twelve o'clock at night and lick road clean wit' tongue. We had two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at mill for sixpence every four years, and when we got home our Dad would slice us in two wit' bread knife.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.
ALL:
They won't!
--------------------------------

If that doesn't cheer you up Gavin, nothing will. And when you're feeling down remember that some Yank who doesn't even know you bothered to look up Monty Python on your behalf.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:24 PM   #8
Gavin Steel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Seiler View Post
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
I was happier then and I had nothin'. We used to live in this tiny old house with great big holes in the roof.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
House! You were lucky to live in a house! We used to live in one room, all twenty-six of us, no furniture, 'alf the floor was missing, and we were all 'uddled together in one corner for fear of falling.
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
Oh, we used to dream of livin' in a corridor! Would ha' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woke up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House? Huh.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Well, when I say 'house' it was only a hole in the ground covered by a sheet of tarpaulin, but it was a house to us.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
You were lucky to have a lake! There were a hundred and fifty of us living in t' shoebox in t' middle o' road.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
Cardboard box?
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
Aye.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at six o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of 'ot gravel, work twenty hour day at mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were lucky!
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
Well, of course, we had it tough. We used to 'ave to get up out of shoebox at twelve o'clock at night and lick road clean wit' tongue. We had two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at mill for sixpence every four years, and when we got home our Dad would slice us in two wit' bread knife.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.
ALL:
They won't!

If that doesn't cheer you up Gavin, nothing will. And when you're feeling down remember that some Yank who doesn't even know you bothered to look up Monty Python on your behalf.

John...youv'e made my day...that was the very monty python sketch I was talking about.....I'm very impressed. I'm now in the mood for some nonsense..think I'll watch some classic python genius.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:09 PM   #9
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Nice job John / David.

Gavin, you ever read any Eckhart Tolle, i.e. http://eckharttolle.com/the_power_of_now?

w/f/s

I find his work pretty good stuff.

Chow On.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:18 PM   #10
Jason David

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Seiler View Post
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
Cardboard box?
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
Aye.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
ALL:
They won't!

Whatever...I live in Detroit...