CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-13-2006, 04:31 PM   #1
Jack Sniezak

Profile:
I hear a lot of marathon runners and other athletes saying that before a big competition, they taper their workout down for the preceeding week, to boost their performance the next week. I am not a marathon runner, but I have been running and doing PT on my own, on top of my NJROTC Fitness at school. Both these things have left me in great shape for the usual events of running and push/pull/sit-ups. (at least I thought it was great until I started Crossfit):showoff:. Here's the question.

Next week, starting Tuesday after school, I will be going to Parris Island for 3+ days to PT with the Marine Corps. They will have us VERY busy I'm told, and I was wondering if I should do a lower intensity workout this week to help my body rest or whatever it is that I might need beforehand.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:07 PM   #2
Martin Schap

Profile:
I would say take it easy the night before, but go balls to the wall on the other days. Here's why- if your event were a PLing competition or something I might say take it easy for a full week or at least several days before, because the CNS seems to do well when it's rested. For higher volume stuff such as the bwt routines that I would imagine you'll be doing tend to not be adversely impacted by the fact that you worked out hard even the day before. There is anecdotal evidence to support this all over these boards, and probably in your own experience. Look how often a tough workout like one of the girls can fall on day 3 of a Crossfit cycle and plenty of people still report PRs. Anyway, I hope this helps. Don't do anything dumb like try out a bunch of new movements right before you go, but I wouldn't worry about tapering if I was going and not you. And I'm sorry for the slightly rambling and incoherent tone of this post. I'm a little sleep deprived right at the moment.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:39 PM   #3
Motion Macivor

Profile:
Cant say I agree with Martin. But tapering will realy have the best results if your you're already feeling a bit run down. The whole idea is that you give your body a bit of time to recover from a series of workouts that have left you less fit than you were before you started the cycle. If you dont feel worked a taper might not have the effect you're looking for, but going balls to the wall the week before 3 days of is a bad idea. If it was me I would take it easy. The best way to taper is to reduce volume to almost nothing and add just a pinch of intensity. Personaly I like the idea (and the practice) of warming up over 15-20 min ramping up intensity until I reach "race pace" then calling it a day. This way you wont be shocked when it's time to go hard but you still get the benefit of rest time.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:41 PM   #4
Motion Macivor

Profile:
Who would have thought h-e double hockey sticks would be sensored. Makes it look like I said something realy bad.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:46 PM   #5
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
I tend to agree with Martin, except maybe not "balls to the wall" The reasoning behind a taper is to giv e your body extra recovery before an "event" were you're attempting to beat some type of personal record. Since a 3+ day marine corp training isn't exactly a timed or ME event, there should be no reason to taper - just your routine recovery time of a day or two before you go.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:47 AM   #6
Jennifer Conlin

Profile:
I would say taper. Give your body recovery time, which is very impotant. Then you will ready to roll hard when you get there. Get your rest and recovery.