CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-12-2006, 03:44 PM   #1
Nick Kirkes

Profile:
I'm looking to change up the warmup routine I've been doing for the last couple months as I'm finding myself bored with it. I typically do the CFWU as outlined in the Journal.

I know I'm going to start and stop the new warmup with a 250m row, but I was wondering if anyone could offer tips to developing a warmup routine that will re-ignite my interest in the warmup process. I just need some variation...

Thanks,
Nick
Old 06-12-2006, 04:27 PM   #2
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Pick a handful of bodyweight exercises or basic weightlifting skills and work them in a circuit.

For example you might choose power snatch, front squat, pushups and turkish get up and work them in a short circuit.

Pick things you need to work on or want to improve
Old 06-12-2006, 05:24 PM   #3
John Frazer

Profile:
I've never understood why people get so wedded to the "official" warmup.

If Crossfit works so well because of constant variety, why would you want to do the same warmup 5-6 days a week?

My warmup is usually three rounds of an arm/chest pushing movement, a squatting movement, and an abdominal movement, sometimes back extensions or RDLs. Between rounds I stretch whatever feels tight.

If the WOD doesn't include pullups, I do a variant of the Armstrong Pullup Program (google it and you come up with several variations). My version includes weighted pullups every fifth workout.

Sometimes I just run a mile or two.

If the WOD is going to be pretty short, sometimes I do a 5x5-ish round of squats, bench press, cleans, snatches after the armup and before the WOD proper.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:56 PM   #4
Kurt Holm

Profile:
I do 1 of 2. If the WOD calls for "traditional" moves (pull-ups, squats, etc.) then I row 1000M and do the Burgener warm-up. If it's a "lifting" WOD I row 1000M and do 3 rounds of: 5 Pull-ups, 10 Push-ups, 15 Squats and 20 Sit-ups. If I'm really trashed, I do only what it takes to get my heart rate up (not much) and break a sweat. As Coach says, "vary things very often."
Old 06-12-2006, 07:43 PM   #5
Kevin McKay

Profile:
I use this loose guidline

3 rounds
Stretch
legs
abs
back
Pull
push
Old 06-12-2006, 07:55 PM   #6
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
i like
21-15-9

OHSq with 0-20#
back extension
Old 06-13-2006, 12:32 AM   #7
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Fitness.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:33 AM   #8
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Now I'm rowing 1000 - 2000 meters, broken up in various ways. I also do GHR situps and pull-ups, some KB H2H stuff, and Sampson stretch. I cool down with O-lift drills or heavy lifts.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:37 AM   #9
Nick Kirkes

Profile:
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I find myself falling back into the old routine of following old routines... In short I need to vary what I do as often as I can.

I'll keep that in mind... Thanks again. I dig the generosity and helpful attitude in this group.

(Message edited by nkirkes on June 13, 2006)
Old 06-13-2006, 06:53 AM   #10
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
To quote Dan John, "If it's important, do it every day. If it's not important, don't do it at all." Although the CrossFit mantra is "varied, if not random, functional movements done at high intensity", I think it's important to have a baseline of skills that are practiced every day or every time you workout. If the CFWU is not holding your interest, just keep spicing it up with skills that are important and you want to improve. A simple variant is to add weight and/or go faster. A weighted warmup would be a new stimulus. Tired of squats? Do pistols! Or do 15 broomstick snatches instead of ohsquats.

Another mantra of CrossFit is "the magic is in the movements", so go to the exercises page and take that list of movements and incorporate 5 of them into your warmup each day on a rotating basis so that they are all worked on over the course of several workouts.

Don't be married to the official warmup if it's not improving your fitness. The key is to keep progressing.