CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-25-2007, 02:04 PM   #1
Vincent Leonetti

Profile:
Jumping Pull Up vs Gravitron?

As I improve my pull-up performance what is a better alternative, jumping pullups or assisted pullups on a gravitron machine?
Old 08-25-2007, 02:12 PM   #2
Maki Riddington

Profile:
Re: Jumping Pull Up vs Gravitron?

Jumping pull ups. The gravitron restricts your natural movement pattern in the pull up.

Personally I think it's a waste of space.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:13 PM   #3
Emily Mattes

Profile:

I do a mix of both. I think it's good to do jumping pull-ups so you can practice full body-weight negatives and get a better neuromuscular feel for the pull-up, but the Gravitron will help develop muscles at different points of the "pull" that you might miss during the jump. For instance, my boyfriend has just been doing jumping pull-ups and as a result his range-of-motion is weak--he can't move from a dead hang nor do a full negative all the way down since there is a certain point of his range-of-motion that's missed during the initial pull-up. That is, during a jumping pull-up your jump takes you through part of the pull-up and then you use your arms for the rest; the part of the pull-up that he "jumps through" is making it difficult to transition to a full pull-up. Using a Gravitron is like practicing from a dead hang every time.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:18 PM   #4
George Mounce

Profile:

I can kip in a Gravitron, but it is more of a shortened leg swing version. Another advantage is I can bring my head over the height of the bar and then bring my head through where the bar would be and create a circle of motion rather then an arc. I have found that women tend to use a much bigger leg swing and arc when kipping then men do to create more momentum. Is this because of muscle strength or lower center of gravity in women? I don't know. As strength and power are more developed is the kip less? For some people it seems to be.

I would definitely move to the jumping pull-up as soon as able from the Gravitron though and begin to learn to kip as soon as possible.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:30 PM   #5
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maki Riddington View Post
Jumping pull ups. The gravitron restricts your natural movement pattern in the pull up.

Personally I think it's a waste of space.
I agree 100%. Not to mention that at least with jumping you're still moving the same amount of weight, just distributing part of the load to your legs - just like the kip!
Old 08-25-2007, 07:20 PM   #6
David Wood

Profile:

Gravitron has some value if you're coming off shoulder surgery. The jumping pullup hits the shoulder with a little more kinetic energy than you want in those first few weeks of comeback, and need some sort of reduced load.

I agree that a band-supported pullup is actually better, though, because it leaves the legs less "tied down" to the platform, allowing a more natural movement path.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:45 PM   #7
Joshua Bird

Profile:

I would think that exaggerating the negative portion of the rep on jumping pullups would go a long way to building more strength in the movement, much like negatives on anything else.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:32 AM   #8
Corey Duvall

Profile:

My clients use a combination of jumping pullups and ring rows. Their jumping pullups must be full ROM, full forearm extension and this often means a dip with their legs. I found if they JPU's are a high enough number in each set their legs tire and the arms begin carrying more and more of the weight with each pull. Then I begin them on the kip swing. I'll even work it into the workout as an exercise (21-15-9 of deadlift, box jumps, kip swing). They'll gain confidence in the swing and in the full ROM pull. Eventually, they're able to put it together. If you're trying to get someone's first pull up, don't do it deadhang. That would take far too long. Teach them the kip, let them get the pull up and as strength improves they might find they're able to do deadhang no problem.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:07 AM   #9
Leslie Powell

Profile:

I've had very good results with something I stole from Beast Skills: having clients put their feet up on a box, butt on the floor, hands holding onto the bar of a Smith machine with arms fully extended, then do pullups using the feet to help as needed, while keeping the torso mostly vertical.

It looks a lot like an inverted row, but with a pike at the hips. Have had a number of clients go pretty quickly from this to their first pullup. It's easier to set up than bands.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:40 AM   #10
Lisa Quinn

Profile:

Just my personal experience...I began with only the gravitron machine...then after a month would do jumping PU some days...now I do only PU on a bar...mostly PU with hold and neg release or jumping-which are turning into kipping. There is a great instructional vid on the site that shows how to learn to kip. I have taken my jumping to this swinging on my toes jump, never landing fully on my feet to jump. So it is a slow progression but I am seeing results.