CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-17-2008, 03:35 AM   #11
Erik Skaer

Profile:
Re: Ulnar Nerve Rehab

FWIW i have the same problem and my chiro said theres nothing he can do to help. sent me to an ortho doc.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:49 AM   #12
Christian Groenveld

Profile:

I've had ulnar nerve issues for almost three years. It took two just to get a Dr. to diagnose it. It started with shooting pains in my elbow doing straight bar curls then with anything with a curl motion. I was prescribed some serious anti-inflamatories and that did the trick until last august when i woke up one day and my pinkie and half my ring finger felt like pins and needles. I gave up lifting for about four months and the symptoms have gotten better, but I still have a slight loss of sensation in those fingers. Fortunately, I found crossfit and it hasn't aggrevated my condition at all. The orthopedic that finally diagnosed me recommended rest and sleeping with my arm in a brace to keep from bending. It seemed to help, but it is taking me a while to fully recover. I would start with the rest, stretches, and brace and try to be conscience to not bend your elbow unnecessarily or rest it on hard surfaces to let it heal. Also, try ice each night to reduce any inflamation in the elbow. Don't be like me and have it linger for 3 years.

Thanks for posting the "ulnar slide" website. Very helpful.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:13 PM   #13
Andy Shirley

Profile:

Take this for what its worth, I sliced my ulnar nerve in two at the elbow(along with some other soft tissue). This was ten years ago. I had it repaired and transposed, but with no return in function since. It is a minor inconvenience at worst. I don't notice it most of the time(non dominant hand FWIW). There is no noticiable atrophy, and very minimal clawing. It has impaired my grip strength slightly.

Also, I buddy tape my pinky to my ring finger for rugby, so it doesn't catch on something and dislocate.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:34 PM   #14
Shan Younker

Profile:

Posting an update to my Ulnar Nerve issues. I had sub-muscular transposition and decompression surgery on both arms. One in April and the other in June. I started to experience strength loss and other symptoms in both forearms and hands and decided it was time to have surgery. Not working out with my arms for several months sucked, but the long term prognosis is good. I shouldn't have any more symptoms - loss of grip strength, numbness in my outer fingers. I was lucky in that I caught it early. The Dr. said it was primarily caused by my lean anatomy. The nerves, as they ran along my elbows, had no fat to glide on. My workouts and 25 years on the computer exacerbated the issues. I'm looking forward to getting back into CrossFit shape without worrying about doing further damage.

Cheers.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:54 AM   #15
Clive Gigney

Profile:

Shan,

Very old post I know, but how are your arms/training doing now?

Thanks

Clive