CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-18-2007, 10:40 AM   #1
Skylar Cook

Profile:
I can do 4-5 pistols on my right leg with decent form, but the left... Let's just say I get pretty comfortable at the bottom... Is this a balance problem? I feel less coordinated with my left when pushing up (I tend to push at angles, rather than straight up); or should I just work with partial body weight until I can finally get one?

Any tips?
Old 01-18-2007, 12:45 PM   #2
Kevin Scott

Profile:
It's hard to say without seeing your form. It could be a strength issue out of the bottom as well. When you go down are you able to go down controlled or are you shaking. If you can't go down controlled then just focus on negatives right now and use something to hold onto such as a door frame to help you keep your balance. If you can already go down in a smooth controlled motion try doing negatives where you stop for 5 seconds 1/4 of the way down, half way down, and 3/4 of the way down to help build more strength. Also you can start from the bottom position and try and build up that way. You could squat down with two legs and come up on one as well.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:53 AM   #3
Skylar Cook

Profile:
I can get down about halfway relatively smooth, but past that it's more of a quick drop... I guess negatives?
Old 01-19-2007, 07:20 PM   #4
Nadia Shatila

Profile:
I have the same problem Skylar!

I guess I'll work on negatives too...
Old 01-19-2007, 07:44 PM   #5
Sam Cannons

Profile:
Try using bands. Attach some bands to a pullup bar or rafter above you, hold on to the bands as you squat down and up. This allows you to work slower and make sure your technique is perfect. You can use different strength bands and hold on using one or two hands. I used this to work up to 10 pistols/leg.

Good luck
Old 01-19-2007, 09:16 PM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
"I can get down about halfway relatively smooth, but past that it's more of a quick drop"

basically your quads are trying to transfer the load and the posterior chain is weak and collapses....hence more hamstring work needed. Negatives can help but only if it is under control...if you are still crashing you are defeating the purpose. More 1 legged work all around....as doing a 2 legged exercise and 1 legged exercise is completely different and shows your real muscle imbalances.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:55 AM   #7
Roy Williams

Profile:
My right side is certainly better at pistols than my left. Due to a slight length difference in my legs my left side is weaker and the muscles are smaller.

Try doing your pistols to a bench, brick or step. When you can comfortably do pistols with both legs at that height find something slightly lower & continue till you reach ground level.

I'd suggest that you do reps on your left leg first, then do the same with your right. This could help avoid making the strength imbalance even more pronounced.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:32 PM   #8
Matthew Mackey

Profile:
It probably is a matter of strength, coordination, or some combination thereof. I'd also consider the possibility of it being a mobility issue--for the longest time I could never hold pistols at the bottom on my right leg--I lost my balance too quickly.

Now, with better ankle mobility in my right leg, I'd daresay my right pistols are a bit better than my left pistols. It can make a big difference.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:47 AM   #9
Skylar Cook

Profile:
My legs ARE weak, but I think it may have been more technique/mental-muscle conditioning. I just tried a few today (even though I'm still hurting from Cindy), and got down to butt-on-calf range with my left, then back up.

No comment on my form, however (back and other leg slightly bent)...