CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:02 AM   #21
Steven Bowser

Profile:
Re: New CrossFit promotional video - feedback please

Great Job.
With a little fine tuning it will work great.
Keep up the good work.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:10 AM   #22
Daniel Freedman

Profile:

I agree with not over-polishing the video so it comes across as a slick sales pitch. But please remember the intended audience and the goal.

Intended audience: people who know little or nothing about Crossfit.

Goal: Adding members. But first, you need them to visit the gym. And before they visit, they'll need to call. So the video is the first step. The idea is to get prospective members to call. Then you can chat and ask them to visit the gym. But none of this will happen if they don't make it through the video -- because it's too long.

Last edited by Daniel Freedman : 12-12-2008 at 06:18 AM.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:07 AM   #23
Joshua Murphy

Profile:

CrossFit Cleveland and nothing about "ROCKS!!"???

maybe that is overplayed...

Looking forward to seeing the final cut!

"Warp Spasm" courtesy of http://www.anne-madden.com/LeBPages/...bration21.html (WFS)
Old 12-13-2008, 11:08 AM   #24
Craig Howard

Profile:

Fantastic vid. Well done.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:31 PM   #25
Tom Woodside

Profile:

"It sucks. But, only for twenty minutes."

That should be on a t shirt.

I have to meet that guy.

Great video. I say leave it alone, but I have zero film background so I will defer to the experts
Old 12-16-2008, 04:03 PM   #26
Daniel Freedman

Profile:

Does anyone remember the USMC recruiting commercial showing the kid slaying the dragon and being transformed into a Marine?

It is one of the best commercials ever made, IMHO, because it so effectively targeted the intended audience.

And it almost never made it to air. Here's what happened, according to a Colonel who was in a position to know...and told me the story.

The commercial had been in production for many months and had received many approvals. But the final sign off had to come from the Commandant of the Marine Corps.

So picture the scene. A conference room is full of Marines and ad agency people. The lights go down. The commercial is played. The lights come up. There is dead silence. No Marine speaks. No ad guy speaks. Everyone is waiting to hear what the Commandant has to say. But he doesn't say anything. The silence continues. No one else speaks. They are all still waiting to hear the Commandant's verdict.

More time passes. More silence. It seems like an eternity, but is actually less than a minute. Finally, the Commandant speaks. And what he has to say consists of five short words. And the words are devastating. The Commandant says:

"I don't care for it."

More silence. But one of the ad agency guys summons up the guts to say:

"With all due respect, Sir, we're not trying to recruit YOU."

Another silence...this time shorter. And then, to his eternal credit credit, the Commandant says:

"You're right. Put the commercial on the air."

Last edited by Daniel Freedman : 12-16-2008 at 04:29 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:03 AM   #27
Tish Traster

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Freedman View Post
Does anyone remember the USMC recruiting commercial showing the kid slaying the dragon and being transformed into a Marine?

It is one of the best commercials ever made, IMHO, because it so effectively targeted the intended audience.

And it almost never made it to air. Here's what happened, according to a Colonel who was in a position to know...and told me the story.

The commercial had been in production for many months and had received many approvals. But the final sign off had to come from the Commandant of the Marine Corps.

So picture the scene. A conference room is full of Marines and ad agency people. The lights go down. The commercial is played. The lights come up. There is dead silence. No Marine speaks. No ad guy speaks. Everyone is waiting to hear what the Commandant has to say. But he doesn't say anything. The silence continues. No one else speaks. They are all still waiting to hear the Commandant's verdict.

More time passes. More silence. It seems like an eternity, but is actually less than a minute. Finally, the Commandant speaks. And what he has to say consists of five short words. And the words are devastating. The Commandant says:

"I don't care for it."

More silence. But one of the ad agency guys summons up the guts to say:

"With all due respect, Sir, we're not trying to recruit YOU."

Another silence...this time shorter. And then, to his eternal credit credit, the Commandant says:

"You're right. Put the commercial on the air."
Yes, I remember that commercial well! Probably the dang one that hooked my son, ROFL. Now a Lance Corporal stationed in Quantico on HMX-1.

Very good point about reaching your intended audience. As CrossFitters viewing the video, we're not the one's trying to be recruited...so we may view very differently. I will kept that thought in mind when planning my marketing. Thanks!
Old 12-17-2008, 07:35 AM   #28
Bill Russell

Profile:

Thanks for all the great feedback, good and critical. I'm taking many ideas into consideration while completing the final version. I guess 'final' version is not an accurate term since I can tweak it anytime and upload a revised copy.

I agree we are targeting people who don't know anything or much about CrossFit. However, I am more interested in finding a way to get some of our 'lurkers' to walk through the door. There are lots of people who know something about CrossFit but they are still reluctant(scared) to come in because they think it's too hard for them.

I have shown this video to many of our people, both vetrans and brand new people, and they all agree that it really shows what we do. People want to identify with others like themselves and see that they will get results, and that it can be fun. Consensus is that we hit those points well. When I ask them if it's too long, they all say that it is a litle long, but they had no problem watching it all because the message was working.

I may take Tish's sugestion and make two segments, the first being a 45-60 second piece followed by a link, or maybe just a pause that says something like, stay tuned if you want to learn more.

BTW Tom, if you ever stop in to meet Pat Graham, I'll have him take a sharpie and write the slogan on the back of whatever shirt you are wearing! It's a catch phrase we use around the gym all the time, but it hasn't made its way onto a shirt yet.

Thanks again and keep ideas coming.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:08 PM   #29
Daniel Freedman

Profile:
Angry Re: New CrossFit promotional video - feedback please

Quote:
I agree we are targeting people who don't know anything or much about CrossFit. However, I am more interested in finding a way to get some of our 'lurkers' to walk through the door. There are lots of people who know something about CrossFit but they are still reluctant(scared) to come in because they think it's too hard for them

Very good point. The YouTube videos -- and even the photos on affiliate website homepages -- have a downside. Prospective clients may be left with the mistaken impression that CrossFitters are tattooed freaks who can't keep their shirts on. Remember that pictures overwhelm words. A prospective client who googles "CrossFit" and spends a few minutes surfing might conclude that CrossFit is a hardcore bodybuilding program.

When I first visited an affiliate, I was surprised at how "normal" everyone looked. I had a completely different impression from the videos and even this message board.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:22 PM   #30
Stephen Baker

Profile:

Very impressed. Who produced this?