CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:49 AM   #11
John L. Mclaughlin

Profile:
Re: Specialty Seminars...are they worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Holmes View Post
The course that has had the biggest impact on my coaching so far was the Coach's Prep course. You can learn almost everything else for free on the internet or with a CrossFit Journal subscription. The Coach's Prep course condensed years of best practices from experienced coaches in an awesome 2-day event.

We covered:
Managing large/small groups during complex and/or strength WODs
Points of performance for each of the foundational movements
Effective cues for common faults (including verbal, visual, tactile)
Programming (Random v. Variance, Targeting v. bias)
More that I don't remember off the top of my head

We got to hear differing points of view from each of the 3 instructors (all successful box owners). They each had their own way of doing things and it was great to hear what worked better in their different scenarios.

I was a better coach my very next class I coached. I wish I would have gone sooner. In my opinion, the course should be requirement before anyone is allowed to coach or own a box. It's that great.
Yeah, but how much can you learn and retain only TWO DAYS. Two days is ridiculously short to be able to train someone to do an activity that can cause injury or death. Hell, if i had the money, I could be a CF.LV1 instructor next week! Could I then lead a class? Technically. Would I? Never! More experience is needed when you have people to look out for.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:21 AM   #12
Nathan Holmes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John L. Mclaughlin View Post
Yeah, but how much can you learn and retain only TWO DAYS. Two days is ridiculously short to be able to train someone to do an activity that can cause injury or death. Hell, if i had the money, I could be a CF.LV1 instructor next week! Could I then lead a class? Technically. Would I? Never! More experience is needed when you have people to look out for.
I'm not saying that the Coach's Prep course is a replacement for good old fashioned experience. HOWEVER, it can help catch you up if you don't have it. We all took classes in elementary school, high school, and (maybe) college. Same thing...you can't absorb everything you need to know to be successful in any field in those short 12-24 years. A good trainer will always get better with experience. One way to get a jump start on that experience: learn from some of the best. There is a ton of information out there to digest but the Coach's Prep course condensed a lot of it into nice, bite-sized pieces. You also get to keep the book they give you so you can go back and review.

Now I sound like an infomercial...just go to the course. Those two days will make you a better coach faster than going to any other certification because it works on the intangibles that you can usually only pick up through experience and being actively mentored in a box/gym setting.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:07 AM   #13
John L. Mclaughlin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Holmes View Post
I'm not saying that the Coach's Prep course is a replacement for good old fashioned experience. HOWEVER, it can help catch you up if you don't have it. We all took classes in elementary school, high school, and (maybe) college. Same thing...you can't absorb everything you need to know to be successful in any field in those short 12-24 years. A good trainer will always get better with experience. One way to get a jump start on that experience: learn from some of the best. There is a ton of information out there to digest but the Coach's Prep course condensed a lot of it into nice, bite-sized pieces. You also get to keep the book they give you so you can go back and review.

Now I sound like an infomercial...just go to the course. Those two days will make you a better coach faster than going to any other certification because it works on the intangibles that you can usually only pick up through experience and being actively mentored in a box/gym setting.
Agreed. I guess I was missing the big picture, the "jump start". Humble pie, here I come.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #14
Tim Geiman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Beresky View Post
Crossfit Football was a phenomenal certification. John Welbourn is a seemingly endless fountain of knowledge.
I agree with this. I have taken CF Mobility and CF Football and those together have definitely made me a better athlete and coach. Just being in the same room as Kelly Starrett and John Welbourn you'd be hard pressed to not pick up a ton of knowledge you can integrate into your wheelhouse as a coach or athlete. My philosophy is that the specialty certs have their place in the continuing education category. They really help to keep things fresh.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:13 AM   #15
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Not trying to start **** but reviews of the Outlaw seminar have not been good, which is too bad.

USAW L1 I hear depends on who coaches it. I have never heard anything negative about the Pendlay seminars or Catalyst seminars. Cal Strength and BlesstheGym are out there as wellbesides coach Ma or ChuanFu/Kirksman or Diane Fu. Im sure there are more I'm missing.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:29 AM   #16
Richard Rubin

Profile:

I've done a few specialty courses and I've found it is largely based on the instructors. I did Oly Lift and thought it was great at the time, but a week later I felt like it was a waste. It was 1 day on the Burgener warm-up and another day on a snatch focused pvc warm up that Burgener covers in a 5 minute CFJ video.

Mobility was really good, K-Star is a great speaker and he really fits a lot in the time. My only issue with mobility was that right after lunch he had a guest speaker who went on for about 30-45 minutes talking about coaching kids and the challenges it presents. Useful information yes, but not why I was there.

Gymnastics was by far the best specialty course I did. The stuff I learned there really changed how I approached coaching and my own workouts. They teach a lot of strong starting positions that transfer to other movements/lifts.

I've recently decided to branch out and I took Carl Paoli's Freestyle Connection seminar and I'm registered for a Bless the Gym one as well. Freestyle Connection was awesome, I highly recommend it.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #17
Chris Sinagoga

Profile:

Seriously, Carl Paoli's Freestyle Connection seminar is the real deal. Get familiar.

Kelly Starrett's seminar is great as well. I would suggest studying MobilityWOD for awhile before you go to get the most out of it.

I also attended Dr. Romanov's Pose running seminar and it was also incredible. But I don't think they do those any more.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:55 PM   #18
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Hmm the Crossfit KB Cert with Coach Martone is awesome and is cheaper than most of the other KB pipelines.

Gymnastics cert is incredible as is the Olympic lifting, the problem with the Oly cert is personally i didnt understand the value in the simplicity of the fundamentals taught in the course until I had lifted for awhile.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:39 AM   #19
Brad Gerbrandt

Profile:

I have done a few. I thought the gymnastics cert was a complete wast of time and money but the power lifting cert was well worth it.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #20
Manuel Robert Weiss

Profile:

Brad : how was the gymnastics seminar a waste of time? Where did you do the seminar, and were there too many people there, who were the coaches?
I have been thinking of attending one of these.
I did find Paoli's one day Freestyle to be very good, but there was rather too much material packed into the day, and too many attendees, making it crowded.