CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
Justin Shive

Profile:
One Man One Barbell

Anyone have any experience and thoughts regarding this program?

http://www.onemanonebarbell.com/ (wfs)

It is put out by the guy that runs Eo3.

http://www.endofthreefitness.com/ (wfs)

Just curious... Not sure it is worth the money with all the free stuff out there...

Old 08-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
Richard Colon

Profile:
Re: One Man One Barbell

Clever marketing in even asking about it on here prompts a click on a link or two.

Anyway...someone putting 'Watch me Deadlift 500lbs' in bold later followed by a statement of 'The most effective strength training guide in the world...for the other guy.'

well, I'm just giggling and rollin' my eyes just a bit. There are guys with more lifting experience than this guy looks like he has been alive on the planet with a Back Squat 200+lbs higher than his Deadlift that don't claim the same thing.

I get it. I mean what are you supposed to say when trying to put something out there to stand out from the masses. You don't sell yourself short but it all has a big "been there done that" with no draw to make me think - "THIS MIGHT BE IT!"

and as you said...so much better info all for free. I mean 1 man 1 barbell really? Does one man often need/use 2 barbells to get strong? At the same time? Farmers Walk style perhaps?
Old 08-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
Colin McLafferty

Profile:

I think I heard about something like this before but it was with cups I think.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
Justin Shive

Profile:

Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines as Richard. In that there is a lot of hype... I want to see what is actually included in the package but I don't want to spend the money... Stuff like this never adds up to the hype... Doesn't sound like anyone has tried it. If someone has tried it please chime in.

In other news, ordered my Rogue equipment yesterday. Already had a glitch in the order but they made it right. Gonna need to start a thread with pictures of my garage. So glad to be done with Golds!
Old 08-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
Adam Carlson

Profile:

at the point that he said that Wendler doesn't allow room for conditioning, I was rolling my eyes and ready to click out of the site. Wendler advocates conditioning and says that it should be done. Apparently this guy didn't read the book.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #6
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Really doesn't give you any idea what the program is.
I wouldn't buy it just on promises. I'd want at least a theoretical base and then be willing to buy the book to iron out the details.

Not saying it is bad, but there are plenty of people promising results and before I donate to their cause I want to know their thoughts not that CF isn't good enough, Wendler isn't good enough etc.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:16 AM   #7
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Great marketing. Even had me thinking about it before I snapped to my senses.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #8
Jerred Moon

Profile:

Hey guys! That's my program, One Man One Barbell, and I can answer any questions you like.

First off, a lot of you think I am a good marketer. Thanks! I am actually an active duty military officer in Air Force Special Operations Command...not much of a marketer, but I enjoy putting together websites...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Shive View Post
Anyone have any experience and thoughts regarding this program?

http://www.onemanonebarbell.com/ (wfs)

It is put out by the guy that runs Eo3.

http://www.endofthreefitness.com/ (wfs)

Just curious... Not sure it is worth the money with all the free stuff out there...

Plenty of FREE stuff out there that works! I tired to build a system that had logs, and calculators that would help aid in the process of being a single package as opposed to an eBook then have others create spreadsheets and stuff. That's kind of what I saw happen in the Wendler program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Colon View Post
Clever marketing in even asking about it on here prompts a click on a link or two.

Anyway...someone putting 'Watch me Deadlift 500lbs' in bold later followed by a statement of 'The most effective strength training guide in the world...for the other guy.'

well, I'm just giggling and rollin' my eyes just a bit. There are guys with more lifting experience than this guy looks like he has been alive on the planet with a Back Squat 200+lbs higher than his Deadlift that don't claim the same thing.

I get it. I mean what are you supposed to say when trying to put something out there to stand out from the masses. You don't sell yourself short but it all has a big "been there done that" with no draw to make me think - "THIS MIGHT BE IT!"

and as you said...so much better info all for free. I mean 1 man 1 barbell really? Does one man often need/use 2 barbells to get strong? At the same time? Farmers Walk style perhaps?
One Man One Barbell is the name because that is what I used when I created the program. More equipment/barbells can always come in handy.

The "for the other guy" is the caveat to it being the "best in the world". Because I haven't seen programs for "the other guy". The guy who wants to be strong, in a CrossFit since, and also really fit.

I am not claiming to be the strongest guy out there. This is just a great program that has worked for athletes I train and special operators in the military.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McLafferty View Post
I think I heard about something like this before but it was with cups I think.
That's just plain funny. My friends brought that up when I originally came up with the name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Shive View Post
Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines as Richard. In that there is a lot of hype... I want to see what is actually included in the package but I don't want to spend the money... Stuff like this never adds up to the hype... Doesn't sound like anyone has tried it. If someone has tried it please chime in.
No hype. Email me at jerred@endofthreefitness.com and I will give you any and every detail you need/want.

Here is a review that was actually published today, and some others. Not a paid review. I did ask her to try the program and she did. Very honest results for three weeks worth of work.

Sabine - http://www.bruisesandcalluses.com/20...l#.UgQLmpK1FDg (WFS)

Ditte Jacobsen at FitasF tried it to - http://fitasf.com/2013/03/26/program...n-one-barbell/ (WFS)

Also a guy named Steve is trying and a documenting EVERYTHING - http://omob.weebly.com/ (WFS)

One Man One Barbell was also featured in the Sweat RX magazine that was issued out at the CrossFit Games.

So people are trying it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Carlson View Post
at the point that he said that Wendler doesn't allow room for conditioning, I was rolling my eyes and ready to click out of the site. Wendler advocates conditioning and says that it should be done. Apparently this guy didn't read the book.
Now I am rolling my eyes. I read the entire Wendler book - all versions, actually. I understand hill running and sled pushing...If you think a professional powerlifter has great conditioning, that's very interesting.

I am talking about the kind of conditioning that you need for activities like CrossFit. Not just enough conditioning to survive weight training.

Go run a 10K with Jim Wendler...that would be awesome.

But thanks! I will clarify that on my site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
Really doesn't give you any idea what the program is.
I wouldn't buy it just on promises. I'd want at least a theoretical base and then be willing to buy the book to iron out the details.

Not saying it is bad, but there are plenty of people promising results and before I donate to their cause I want to know their thoughts not that CF isn't good enough, Wendler isn't good enough etc.
Theoretical base. Most of the programming itself is based off of Vladimir Zatsiorsky's book, Science and Practice of Strength Training, Second Edition. Taking into account:

Maximal Effort Method lifting a maximum load.
Submaximal Effort Method lifting a load smaller than maximal effort a repeated number of times.
Dynamic Effort Method - lifting a submaximal load at maximal velocity.

The most interesting part of the program is it involves on the minute lifting, which you see in CrossFit, for the dynamic efforts. That is the 'magic' behind the program.

Could talk about this stuff all day! Email me if you want to talk more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
Great marketing. Even had me thinking about it before I snapped to my senses.
Again, thanks for the marketing compliment...that's not what I do lol.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #9
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerred Moon View Post
Theoretical base. Most of the programming itself is based off of Vladimir Zatsiorsky's book, Science and Practice of Strength Training, Second Edition. Taking into account:

Maximal Effort Method lifting a maximum load.
Submaximal Effort Method lifting a load smaller than maximal effort a repeated number of times.
Dynamic Effort Method - lifting a submaximal load at maximal velocity.

The most interesting part of the program is it involves on the minute lifting, which you see in CrossFit, for the dynamic efforts. That is the 'magic' behind the program
All of that "magic" and more can be found for free on The Outlaw Way. And Rudy's programming is pretty well proven at this point.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #10
Jerred Moon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
All of that "magic" and more can be found for free on The Outlaw Way. And Rudy's programming is pretty well proven at this point.
Rudy is the man! And a great programmer!

However, he uses the conjugate method, or as he likes to call it - the 'limited conjugate' method. Basically, a constantly rotated strength program.

Which, Louie Simmons has proven, not Rudy, is one of the best ways to program strength in the world.

One Man One Barbell takes more of a linear progression approach; similar to 5/3/1 and starting strength.