CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-21-2013, 07:20 PM   #11
Robert Diggs

Profile:
Re: Why OLYs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
Froning may not, but nearly every single competitive weightlifter does.

Just saying...

And Georgia, I dont really know how the Adidas shoes fit, so I cant help you there unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
Just saying what? That a piece of equipment vetted by decades of competitive weightlifters is totally moot in the face of Froning using a Crossfit sponsor's shoes? The shoes have a place in Olympic training even if you might not use them in your comp.
just saying they're not necessary
Old 07-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #12
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Most of the competitive CF hybrid shoes are expensive. Like $150 or so not including tax or shipping.

Cheap WL shoes would be the VS. Like 69 or 79. I would not get the Adidas PowerLift trainers as they are not designed for real heavy loads (though I did hear of an Iranian CJ a lot at World's Uni's in a pair).

I didn't really like doing max DL in my Pendlay's the other day. Fine for Sn/Cn DL but not for a max DL (with higher hips and mixed grip [which I probably will never do again]).

If you have excellent ankle flexibility it might be as necessary. Most shoes are not very stable if they are the "trainer" kind. I learned the Olympic Lifts in whatever I wore in gym class but WL shoes are nice in that they are stable and don't move around.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:47 PM   #13
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Diggs View Post
That isn't what is being asked.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #14
Evan Williams

Profile:

For me it seems that I'm much more confident going heavy with Olympic shoes. Like you I'm not going to the games any time soon but I do take fitness seriously and love having goals to work towards in the gym. While wearing the Olympic shoes I know I'm planted securely and just have to focus on form and moving that weight!

One thing I've heard a hundred times, and said myself too is that you really don't know what you're missing until you've tried them. The shoes do make a positive difference for most people it seems.

No doubt the high end shoes are pricey, but you can always try one of the ~$70-130 shoes and sell them if you don't like them.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #15
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Froning wears Nanos for everything. Just saying...
And Abebe Bikila won the 1960 Olympic Marathon barefoot. Just saying....

- Mark
Old 07-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #16
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Actually Greg Everett has gone on record about collapses arches by people lifting without WL shoes.

Could happen and there is no need asking for a Darwin award.

Besides, my Pendlay's are probably my nicest fashion equipment. They are pretty comfy if they aren't super tight and they look pretty bomb.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:16 PM   #17
Jason A Smith

Profile:

I have Olympic Lifting shoes and a total way less than Rich's. FWIW even he wore lifting shoes for the clean ladder last year. They were the Reebok's but whatever. I prefer them for squats for sure.

You can look at getting the Adidas Power Perfect 2's. They run about $150. Good lifting shoes will last a decade or more. Worth the money if you ask me. I ordered my regular size for my Adipower Lifters.

You can spend money on way more useless junk than lifting shoes.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #18
Marshall Flagg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Guy View Post
Okay I have been doing CF for about four years and seriously for the last two years. I have made great gains all around set PRs etc. Of late I have been getting stronger because of a change in programming. Everybody keeps telling me to invest in some OLY shoes. When I ask why the answer I get is "because they will help you."
Okay I'm 42 never gonna make it to the games but love pushing myself. Can I get a real reason to drop $175.00 on shoes. I'm not a hater or smart a$$ I would just would like a better answer from some experts.
"Because they will help you" is the best answer out there. Drop the coin and buy the shoes.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:39 AM   #19
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Maybe try reading other posts before commenting? (See bold below):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
OK, here's the mechanics behind weightlifting shoes:

1. They all feature some kind of raised heel. Could be anywhere from 0.5" to 0.75" of lift. This allows most people to get into a much more vertical squat position, which is critical to maintaining balance in the catch of a clean or snatch (not to mention other exercises like back, front and overhead squats, pistols and wall ball shots)

2. They provide a solid base to lift from. Whether made of hard plastic or wood, the soles of lifting shoes are meant to be stiff, not squishy like most other athletic shoes. This means all of your force is being applied to standing up rather than in compressing the soles of your shoes. Of course, this is also why lifting shoes aren't supposed to be used for dynamic movements where the sole will be excessively flexed.

3. They stabilize your feet. Lifting shoes are meant to fit tightly, and in addition they usually are made with velcro straps. This allows your feet to push against the shoes and in turn apply force to the ground, as opposed to looser-fitting shoes where your feet have room to move around a little.

Hope this helps. You certainly don't "need" lifting shoes, but they are highly recommended for anyone who wants to improve their weightlifting skills.

Also, you can find perfectly acceptable shoes for under $100. They aren't Nike or Adidas or Reebok, but they are serviceable enough - and I would argue most of the cheaper ones are better for pure weightlifting than the Reeboks are.

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert. Just an engineer and amateur CrossFitter who recently started to dabble in the weightlifting world.
The two-minute rule applies to the internet too
Old 07-22-2013, 07:29 AM   #20
Georgia Guy

Profile:

Blair, There is no danger of me lifting heavy loads. I grew up a distance runner so squats were not part of my "gym days". Yes I trained stupid when I was younger, hence the saying youth is wasted on the young. But I am trying to reverse some of my stupidity I actually look forward to heavy leg workouts.