CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-29-2003, 11:43 PM   #1
Roy

Profile:

I started Ori Hofmekler's Warrior Diet on Monday. If you dont know what the Warrior Diet is (Im sure you already do)
it is basically eating very very little throughout the day(more if you're active like myself) and then eating all you can at night time. This is how the ancient romantic warriors ate. So far, I like it. I feel much more alert throughout the day, and dont get very hungry at all. My body comp hasnt changed noticibly since it hasnt even been a week yet.

However, I have a concern. This diet seems very unorthodox and I have a feeling that it may "trick" my body into thinking that its somewhat starving, and therefore storing a lot of fat from these 3000 calorie feasts at night. I know your muscles can only hold so much glycogen, and then the rest of the carbs are stored as fat.

Any thoughts or opinions on this?
Old 11-30-2003, 08:15 AM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Jay-

I like the intermittent fasting with compensatory over-eating but I do not like how it is done. I'd recomend stop eating 5pm on one day and fast through the night to the folloing evening. have a couple of meals that evening (basic Zone perhaps?) and then 5-6 meals the following day ratcheted up in caloric content to make up for the fasting day. One could do this every three days or every two days and I think get all the benefits of the Zone with the added bene's of intermitent fasting. I've been tinkering with this for a few weeks now and really like the results.
Robb
Old 11-30-2003, 09:41 AM   #3
Lauren Glassman

Profile:  
Robb, I agree. I like your strategy.

We have played with different intermitent fasting strategies. The "one big meal a day" was good, but I found the benifits were greater when we played with the more extreme "one day on - one day off" strategy. Yours is a more balanced and doable protocal, especially when using Zone-like meals.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:48 AM   #4
Roy

Profile:

Thanks robb. I may try the cylcing fasting instead just to elimintate basically All deprivition.

Before warrior, I did a paleo version of the massive eating concept(that is, carb/protein meals separate from carb/fat meals) but not eating massively. Im not pondering to do this for the three WOD days and do the fasting/warrior diet on the rest day. or would vice versa be better? Thanks again, but theres only one problem with your post: MY NAME IS NOT JAY! DONT INSULT ME LIKE THAT, PLEASE! :-)
Old 11-30-2003, 09:49 AM   #5
Roy

Profile:

oops. scratch the word NOT before the word pondering