CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 05-07-2004, 08:02 AM   #1
Larry Cook

Profile:
I had been struggling trying to do just one of these ... had replaced them in recent WODs with standard OH presses.

Last night warming up for TKD class I flipped into a handstand (against the wall) and ripped off 5! I was totally pumped ... a few jaws dropped as well, making the feat even that much more satisfying. Thanks Coach(es) for the program and all who post for the motivation.

Larry
Old 05-07-2004, 08:23 AM   #2
Jon Pappas

Profile:
Congrats Larry! Jumping right to 5 reps is awesome!

Any particular thing that helped you with HSPU? I'm still struggling to get just one full, honest HSPU myself.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:44 PM   #3
Larry Cook

Profile:
Jon,
Thanks .. it was quite a rush. Honestly, I think part of it is my body just "got it" like when you first learn to balance yourself on a bike. I had not tried to do an HSPU for at least a month ... didn't see the point because I seemed so far away. Part of it must be related to what I have been doing, which is nothing special.

1) I do the WOD about 80% of the time (and I usually have to modify it to make it "doable" for me)
2) I have really developed an affinity for both the thruster and DB swing exercises and usually include 1 of them in my warm-up
3) Once a week I have been doing extra shoulder and back work (DB stuff and pull-ups) really to help me with pull-ups (I'm nearly as bad at those ... I can do about 8)
4) Hand-stand practice. I just do this for about 5 minutes maybe 3 times a week when my kids are brushing their teeth/getting ready for bed. I have been practicing making a smooth transition up and down (my wife hates it when I fall and the whole house shakes!)

That's it really. I'm hoping at some point to get a pop like this in my pull-ups but I'm not sure I'll get it. This is a real mental boost though.

I hope this helps you and I'm sure you'll get your HSPU. I'll be looking for your post!
Old 05-07-2004, 12:49 PM   #4
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Outstanding improvement Larry!
Old 06-21-2004, 06:04 AM   #5
Dale S. Jansen

Profile:
little behind on this one but finally cracked the HSPU barrier as well. decided to remove the hexagonal db's i thought were making it easier. just flipped up against the wall and cranked out my 21-15-9 in sets of 5-7. also cracked my pr best in deadlift by 251bs and c and j'd bodyweight this month. good stuff.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:14 PM   #6
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Way to go Larry!
Old 06-23-2004, 05:16 AM   #7
Larry Cook

Profile:
Dale,
Congrats!!

Nice to see the 40+ crowd making progress.

I had been trying to do these using my push-up bars (kind of mini-paralletts) and was getting nowhere. Just hands on floor is much easier. Go figure.