CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-11-2006, 04:16 PM   #1
Neal Winkler

Profile:
Before I came to the paleo diet concept, I was a carb machine. I ate large plates of white spahgetti 4-6 times per week, ate subway and quiznoes (lots of bread) all the time, ate junk food like fruit snacks and doritoes throughout the day, always cereal for breakfast, and I love popping tombstone pizza'a in the oven.

By all accounts, I should of had a soaring insulin levels. High insulin = high fat storage, yet I never got fat. I've always had <10% body fat.

Now, maybe, MAYBE, I really just didn't get enough calories, but is it possible that some people just don't respond to high insulin levels by storing fat? If so, why?
Old 07-11-2006, 04:42 PM   #2
Motion Macivor

Profile:
I think people like us are the reason high carb diets are so popular.
Barry sears mentions that about 25 % of the population has a muted insulin response and therefore wont get as fat from a high carb diet. When these people do well in sport we hold them up as examples of nutritional success. Even though higher performance can be realized on the zone.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:47 PM   #3
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
There are some freaks.

Truthfully, I can eat anything, drink 4 beers a night, cake, cookies, pizza, soda, and sit on my ***. I'll still be under 8% body fat, and probably loose weight from all the chewing. The challenge has always been to keep the fat ON, not take it off.

I got made fun of as a kid for being to skinny... so take that fatties, go ahead and hate me.

:-)

Brad
Old 07-11-2006, 04:49 PM   #4
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
On that same breath... performance did soar under zone guidelines....
Old 07-11-2006, 05:34 PM   #5
Lewis Dunn

Profile:
Truthfully, I can eat anything, drink 4 beers a night, cake, cookies, pizza, soda, and sit on my ***. I'll still be under 8% body fat....

Brad, I hereby hate you.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:39 PM   #6
Neal Winkler

Profile:
Yeah, but if we wwre hunter-gatherers we would probably die! :sad:
Old 07-11-2006, 05:44 PM   #7
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Also consider what you do and how you do it. If you are consuming low calories mostly consisting of carbs, you are still likely to remain thin, if you are active! The problem is that we don't want to be thin, we want to be lean. I know many thin people, and they talk to me as if they are fit and try tearing down my dietary habits. That is until they try and do something physical beside me and they generally just melt away in the sun. I'm not big, I'm 145lbs, but I ain't skinny either, and most people know the difference when they see it!

Tell me if my assumptions are wrong.

Re-reading that I sound presumptuous, I apologize if I sound cocky not the intention.

(Message edited by brutebsd on July 11, 2006)
Old 07-11-2006, 05:56 PM   #8
David Wood

Profile:

Actually, Pierre, for anyone who knows your background, that didn't sound presumptious at all . . .
Old 07-11-2006, 06:24 PM   #9
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Ummm hehehe I'm not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing!?! Meaning I sound presumtuous most of the time? And this was nice break?

Anyway I just think that while some people are genetically gifted as far as insulin reaction relative to carbohydrate consumption goes, even gifted people can make bad dietary choices. I have found that higher carbohydrate consumption, lower BMI and lots of activity seems to put people in a precarious position immunologically. They may be thin but they may be bed ridden more regularly than say a zoner. Thats my point on that, if that makes any sense?!?
Old 07-12-2006, 01:57 AM   #10
Hone Watson

Profile:
Well you're pretty young Neal. Some people will naturally continue to produce high GH up until they're 25 and then the decline will set in... (unless they eat right and exercise right)

Try going back on your high carb diet when you're 35, sit around doing nothing, and then see what you look like after a year or 2.