CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-17-2004, 08:58 AM   #1
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Vitamin C, it seems everyone has an opinion about it. I’ve heard it’s prevents or helps recovery from overtraining, it’s an antioxidant, it helps prevent or cure the common cold, and about 90 million other things. On and off I’ve taken vitamin C in 1000mg doses due to the reported benefits. As a matter of fact, I just finished a bottle of water mixed with Emer’gen-C (with 1000 mg of MSM) Lite (no calories). It made drinking the water easier but does the 1000 mg of vitamin C and MSM do anything? Opinions?
Old 09-17-2004, 09:33 AM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Larry-

I am not sure about the "mega dose" vitamin thing. But then again when Linus Pauling did a linear regression, comparing us primates with critters who still make thier own Vit-C, he suggested that we need 9-10 grams!!!

Most of what I have read points towards good things for Vit-C. It helps reduce cortisol so a dose post workout or pre-bedtime seems a smart thing.

Try to avoid taking Vit-C with iron containing foods as iron uptake is accentuated. Not anything we really need!

BTW-I love the sugar free emergen-C products. Orthomolecular research has a product called TLC which has a ribose base...this would go nice with some creatine.

Robb
Old 09-17-2004, 09:45 AM   #3
Beth Moscov

Profile:
I have read some research recently that indicated that extra vitamin C from diet is highly beneficial but the vitamin C from pills is less so. I didn't read the actual research so I would guess they didn't control for various quality tablets/capsules. Also, vitamin C taken along with some of it's "friends" like the bioflaviniods seem to work even better than C alone. Also, when increasing your vitamin C, increase gradually. While vitamin C doesn't have a toxic level (I think), it can give us the runs if we increase too fast. I take vitamin C for colds and for allergies as it has natural antihistimine behavior. Otherwise I try and get it from food as much as possible. Another place there seems to be a correlation is in in recovery rates after surgery. This might cross to recovery from heavy duty workouts like we do with crossfit but I would try it out for yourself and see. For myself, I have learned the best way to test this kind of thing is to write a journal for a few days of how I feel (physically, mentally, etc) then introduce the new substance. Keep the journal. AFter a trial of a week or two (two is best unless you are noticing real problems), go off the supplement. Keep journeling. After another two weeks, reintroduce the substance for another two weeks. Research on a single person isn't really valid but by doing two tests with a long enough period in between to clear the system, you increase the validity. And really, all we need to know is how it works for us!
Old 09-17-2004, 04:51 PM   #4
David Wood

Profile:

4 - 5 gms / day. Every day for years (along with other stuff). Very few colds, sick maybe a total of ten days in five years, even when I'm only sleeping 4 hours a night for a weeks or more.

If it's a placebo effect, I'll take it.

Dave
Old 09-17-2004, 06:56 PM   #5
Steve Shafley

Profile:
Linus Pauling basically said that Vitamin C is vitamin C, and take the cheapest you can afford so you can take a lot.

He regularly took vitamin c until it had a laxative effect on him. He did live into his 90s, and I seem to remember he was pretty damn lucid the entire time as well.
Old 09-18-2004, 07:14 AM   #6
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
I'm fairly sure Linus Pauling's claim about mega-dosing Vitamin C has been debunked.

You always hear people say he was a great scientist, yet he came up with a completely unsubstantiated idea.

I've taken supplements and vitamin C on and off and notice no difference. I figure the synthetic form does as much harm as good.
Old 09-18-2004, 08:56 AM   #7
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
I am a big fan of fruit snacks... oranges, grape fruit, strawberries, blue berries, berries, etc. PLENTY of vitamin C there.

Old 09-19-2004, 05:35 AM   #8
Paul Symes

Profile:
I've never taken vitamins and I've had 2 colds in 20 years, maybe about 4 or 5 colds my whole life. I think it's more to do with your genes and many other things rather than the suppliments we take.
Old 09-19-2004, 06:11 AM   #9
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
Paul, what is your diet like? 2 Colds in 20 years is very impressive :-)
Old 09-19-2004, 10:07 AM   #10
Paul Symes

Profile:
Paul, I hope my post didn't sound boastful, it wasn't meant to. I just think I'm lucky, my Dad is the same and his Dad was too. I spent 6 months in India a few years ago and didn't even get an upset stomach. I don't take it for granted, I think about it all the time and feel very grateful. I feel like I'm lucky rather than being rewarded for any kind of healthy lifestyle. In fact my lifestyle has only been healthy for about 5 years.