CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-23-2004, 12:50 PM   #1
Andrew Carnahan

Profile:  
...which ones should you do? I've noticed a couple people said they didn't do every WOD because of spending the time and energy elsewhere, such as on sport-specific stuff (including powerlifting-type stuff, etc.). The problem with that seems to be that there is some rhyme and reason to the choice and order of the WOD's, so you might be missing out on good workouts for a key element of fitness by just doing the WOD's randomly. For example, if you're only doing 3 WOD's a week, you might miss several workouts in a row that focus on low-rep stuff. When a low-rep WOD finally falls on a day when you're working out again, you might not have done anything like it in a month, and your performance would probably suffer.

So would you just do the as listed for the day that you happen to be following the WOD, and figure that over time it will all even out, or would you maybe look at all the WOD's for a period and schedule them yourself for the days that you can do the workout so that you acheive as much balance as possible? Or would you do the WOD's that you could do as listed, and add some stuff to fill in the gaps that were worked on the other days?

I'm wondering about this because I'm new to CF, and am excited about the whole philosophy and application, but I'm currently in the midst of a very productive time with a simple strength routine that I'm doing. On top of that, I'm starting to train martial arts seriously again, which takes up more time and energy. I'd like to start doing some of the WOD's as soon as possible, but I can't fit them all in right now. What should I do?
Old 09-23-2004, 01:27 PM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Andrew-

Do as many as you can! Some of them you may need to really alter, especially in the beginning. If it calls for 3 rounds do 1, stuff like that. Just try to do as much as you can.

Robb
Old 09-23-2004, 01:49 PM   #3
Andrew Carnahan

Profile:  
Robb,

Thanks for the quick reply! I guess I was making it harder than it has to be; I'll just do what I can and cut down on the workouts if I need to.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:58 PM   #4
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
If the workouts are random you'll probably hit all elements of fitness. In only 10 WODs I've tackled every aspect of fitness multiple times.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:33 PM   #5
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
I would do as much as possible. Most of the workouts only take 30 minutes or so. Maybe an hour including stretching and heaving in a puddle of sweat.

A lot of the time, I do my martial arts training as part of my warm up, then I do the WOD. After my body recovers I will work on mor martial arts training or some CF skills (like walking on my hands).