CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 05-24-2009, 01:05 PM   #1
Wil Li

Profile:  
P90x?

Has anyone in the Crossfit communtiy tried it? Looks like some crossfit stuff and then some. ANyway just want your though and opinions and experience if you've tried it.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
Doug Blankenship

Profile:
Re: P90x?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil Li View Post
Has anyone in the Crossfit communtiy tried it? Looks like some crossfit stuff and then some. ANyway just want your though and opinions and experience if you've tried it.
You should run a search, this has been discussed before.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:19 AM   #3
Scott Diehl

Profile:

And no, it's not crossfit and then some. P90X favors form; crossfit favors function. It's aesthetics vs. performance. Not saying P90X doesn't work at what it's intended for, some people have great results from it. But it's designed for weight-loss and getting ripped. I would take squats or deadlifts any day over "totally blasting my abs and pecs."
Cindy: 30 rds -- Murph: 27:21 -- Tabata Something Else: 445 -- Deadhang Pullups: 32 -- CFT: 1005
Old 05-26-2009, 11:35 AM   #4
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

But squats and deadlifts do blast my abs.......and my back, and my quads, and my hamstrings.....
Old 05-26-2009, 12:25 PM   #5
Scott Diehl

Profile:

Can't argue with you there. A good squat should do that. I was just alluding to the BBer mentality of supersets and "the pump" and blasting the beach muscles. I will say though that I much prefer crossfitting and eating clean -- it's not like you don't see aesthetic improvement from that. I think crossfit is the best of both worlds -- high performance AND asses you can bounce a quarter off of.
Cindy: 30 rds -- Murph: 27:21 -- Tabata Something Else: 445 -- Deadhang Pullups: 32 -- CFT: 1005
Old 05-26-2009, 01:20 PM   #6
S.S.

Profile:

Don't you mean it's Crossfit minus some? Or..a lot?
Old 06-03-2009, 05:33 AM   #7
Michael Williams

Profile:

I've gone through p90x about 3 times in the past. I usually make through the first 2 months and then get bored with the routine and find myself dropping out. Some of the workouts are fun and I wouldn't mind doing one on occasion but the 3 month routine is not for me. I've been doing Crossfit for about 6 weeks now and I find the mystery of seeing what each days workout is, keeps me motivated.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:59 AM   #8
Kevin Mack

Profile:

"P90x was designed with one goal in mind: To get you TOTALLY RIPPPED in just 90 days." --my favorite part of the infomercial. That plus the fact that it was developed by a company called Beach Body should give you a clue as to what the program might be all about.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:06 PM   #9
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

My cousin who is a super duper ectomorph bought P90x in hopes of gaining muscle. LOL.. A while back I showed him Starting Strength and had him try it.. he didn't like it because he said it was too much resting and not enough exercise.... And he wonders why he's an ectomorph. haha.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:40 AM   #10
Patrick M. Reed

Profile:

My roommate does P90X - I do Crossfit.

After taking time off from Crossfit to focus on SS (what a difference this time around), I got back into it the same time he started P90X.

First off, he decided not to follow any of the P90X dietary advice, or any good dietary habits for that matter. So I think that already invalidates that, especially when a Division I strength and conditioning coach we know told him not do to do it without the diet.

The biggest comparison I can make between P90X and Crossfit is that after a 20 minute metcon, I feel like I'm gonna die. After 90 minutes (that is just way too much time), he's tired, and no doubt sore the next day, but he's not going to die. That's all the proof I need that Crossfit, plain and simple, works you harder.

The next is that P90X doesn't come off as a lifestyle: once the cycle ends, that's it. And what have your really gained, other than (and this is not a guarantee) a beach body? Are you really more functional?

I will say this: I do the yoga and stretching days with him, and I generally have no complaints. Though I feel like focusing on flexibility as part of Crossfit has made that easier for me.

Just my $0.02. I think it all depends on someone's goals.