CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-18-2007, 11:38 PM   #1
Mike Marin

Profile:
I've been doing the WOD's for the last eight weeks, and have seen AMAZING results! My strenth has increased, and my cardio is off the charts.

However, one thing I've noticed is that I have a skinny neck! It makes me look awkward cuz it is not at all proportional to the rest of me! Anybody got any suggestions on thickening up my pencil neck????
Old 06-19-2007, 04:23 AM   #2
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Gain 50 pounds.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:40 AM   #3
Elliot Royce

Profile:
trap pulls...no point in having a fat neck but developed traps help with a lot of the lifts
Old 06-19-2007, 11:41 AM   #4
Mirza Besic

Profile:
You really want to get into the habit of choosing your workouts based on your GOALS rather than based on cosmetic results. For example, if your GOAL = planche pushup then you would train a certain way to attain that. However, you wouldn't be worrying that your bicep isn't getting enough curl time because your looks would be a side effect of an amazing function. See the difference?

Another example, someone who does 1-2 good form planche pushups can do at least 2x their bw in bench I'd bet money.

Someone who can do 2x bw bench won't hold the tuck position for more than a few seconds on their first try.

See the difference?

Not saying weights don't work, I use them A LOT! Just chose a function and base your workout off that, let your body be a byproduct of your training.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:07 PM   #5
David Aguasca

Profile:
deadlifting would be another idea. few people deadlift enough. it'll make you stronger all around, and your traps will grow as a side effect.

personally, i've come to enjoy my giraffe neck. ; )
Old 06-19-2007, 02:01 PM   #6
John Seiler

Profile:
neck bridges
manual resistance
wearing a football helmet several hours per day

Old 06-19-2007, 02:59 PM   #7
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Clean. Deadlift. Clean some more. Eat. Sleep.

Do all this a lot.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:29 PM   #8
Peter Dell'Orto

Profile:
I'll second the neck bridges. I do them for my neck muscles, and I do lots of barbell shrugs on my weight workout day for my traps. I always liked shrugs, and when I started at my new gym a bodybuilding fellow MMA guy suggested strong traps would make my guillotine chokes better, and my coach insisted I do neck bridges for strength and flexibility.

I've been at this for a long time (er, maybe 2 years of combining bridging and some kind of shrugging on a weekly basis, even more shrugging before that) but it paid off.

- My traps got larger, stronger and well-defined (upper, middle and lower). Appearance isn't everything but it sure is something.
- It's much harder to neck crank me in grappling class. If your technique isn't spot-on I can stop people from muscling it.
- My guillotine is harder to escape
- My bigger traps made it harder to get my neck when I tuck down and raise my shoulders.
- My neck is more flexible even before I stretch.

Win all around for me. You can just chuck in neck bridging once or twice a week, or add it to your warmups. I do 10 or so back-and-forth rocks, touching my nose to the mat. Then I cross my arms over my chest and hold in a fully-stretched position for roughly 30 seconds. It took a while of doing this to get to nose-touching and 30-second holds with no hands.

Hope that helps!
Old 06-19-2007, 08:11 PM   #9
Kevin McKay

Profile:
do bjj for a year
Old 06-20-2007, 06:05 AM   #10
Brad Davis

Profile:
I don't know if this helps size or not, but it helped my neck strength when I was in bjj class.

If you watch TV, lay in the floor on your back with your feet near the TV. Hold your head up so your chin is touching your chest and watch TV that way. Eventually you get to the point that you can make it between commercial breaks without dropping your head.

It might be more productive to use that position, but add weight on your forehead.

Do neck bridges for the back of your neck.