CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-31-2008, 07:55 PM   #1
Oscar Aparicio

Profile:
New to Crossfit - Need some clarification

Hello everyone,

I started Crossfit about 3 weeks ago and I am really starting to feel a difference. I have been scaling weights and watching videos on here and everything has been very helpful. One thing that confuses me is the number of exercises I should do on something like Fran.

When the WOD says three rounds, I presume they go like this (but I could be wrong):

1: 21 Thrusters, 21 PU
2: 15 Th, 15 PU
3: 9 Th, 15 PU.

When I read the times, and even the scaled versions, each make reference to this being a 5 minute WOD.

Would it be better to spend more time on it, say 15 minutes and complete everything (with scaled weight on the thrusters) or try to go for speed? The thrusters aren't what is going to stop me up. The pull ups, though, I can do about 6 without kipping. I can complete 21 but it will take lots of time.

In short, I can do Fran, but the PU will take lots of time. Which is better, scaling the PU number to get in some good speed or taking time but doing it all?

Thanks for all your help!
Old 03-31-2008, 08:20 PM   #2
Elliot Fuller

Profile:
Re: New to Crossfit - Need some clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Aparicio View Post
When the WOD says three rounds, I presume they go like this (but I could be wrong):

1: 21 Thrusters, 21 PU
2: 15 Th, 15 PU
3: 9 Th, 15 PU.
Correct - except it's 21/21, 15/15, 9/9

Quote:
When I read the times, and even the scaled versions, each make reference to this being a 5 minute WOD.

Would it be better to spend more time on it, say 15 minutes and complete everything (with scaled weight on the thrusters) or try to go for speed? The thrusters aren't what is going to stop me up. The pull ups, though, I can do about 6 without kipping. I can complete 21 but it will take lots of time.

In short, I can do Fran, but the PU will take lots of time. Which is better, scaling the PU number to get in some good speed or taking time but doing it all?

Thanks for all your help!
Fran is supposed to be short and intense. Scale it to where you can do it in a short, intense burst, but don't scale the actual numbers. If pull-ups are really difficult for you, you can sub jumping pull-ups or something to that effect. Don't fudge the numbers though.

Fran is intended for kipping pull-ups, tbh. If your kip is as bad as mine, you'll settle for deadhangs, but honestly I think kipping is very superior when it comes to Fran and getting the full benefit of the WOD.

I'm still scaling my Fran to 75#, but I still do 21/21, 15/15, 9/9. My Fran is around 8:45 at this point. 5:00 Fran is a great time, and if you hit it, you should be happy.

Anything under 12:00, for me anyways, is acceptable for a Fran time, and not in need of any further scaling.

If I can crank out a 12:00 Fran at 75#, then I stick with 75# until I'm down to 5 or 6:00. Then continue to scale up as necessary.

Again, with the pull-ups, do them kipping if you can.

Scale enough so that you can complete the WOD as it was intended to be completed: in a short, and intense burst of maximum effort. If you're pausing nonstop and taking long rests, and pushing 12:00, then I'd say you need to scale more.

Just use some common sense with the scalings and you'll be fine.

Man, I love the ramble.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:45 PM   #3
Bryan Bentley

Profile:

What would be a suggested dumb bell weight to equal the 95lbs. you'd normally use on the bar?
Old 03-31-2008, 09:03 PM   #4
Oscar Aparicio

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Fuller View Post
Correct - except it's 21/21, 15/15, 9/9

Fran is supposed to be short and intense. Scale it to where you can do it in a short, intense burst, but don't scale the actual numbers. If pull-ups are really difficult for you, you can sub jumping pull-ups or something to that effect. Don't fudge the numbers though.

Fran is intended for kipping pull-ups, tbh. If your kip is as bad as mine, you'll settle for deadhangs, but honestly I think kipping is very superior when it comes to Fran and getting the full benefit of the WOD.

I'm still scaling my Fran to 75#, but I still do 21/21, 15/15, 9/9. My Fran is around 8:45 at this point. 5:00 Fran is a great time, and if you hit it, you should be happy.

Anything under 12:00, for me anyways, is acceptable for a Fran time, and not in need of any further scaling.

If I can crank out a 12:00 Fran at 75#, then I stick with 75# until I'm down to 5 or 6:00. Then continue to scale up as necessary.

Again, with the pull-ups, do them kipping if you can.

Scale enough so that you can complete the WOD as it was intended to be completed: in a short, and intense burst of maximum effort. If you're pausing nonstop and taking long rests, and pushing 12:00, then I'd say you need to scale more.

Just use some common sense with the scalings and you'll be fine.

Man, I love the ramble.
Awesome. Thanks for the info. This was my first time doing Fran and I used 20# dumbbells (one in each hand). Are you supposed to do it with a bar? In the vid I saw the guy was doing it with dumbbells.

I forgot to start my stopwatch (I know) but from the number of songs on my iPod that played I can gather that I did Fran in about 11 minutes, perhaps a minute less. The PUs killed me (after I did about 6) and I had to do 1-3 at a time and that's where I was pausing like you described above. My kipping is okay, I just have to get the hang of pushing away on the decline. It's really noticeable when you do it right.

All in all it was good. I'll stay tuned to the board for more info. Thanks!
Old 03-31-2008, 11:57 PM   #5
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Quote:
Would it be better to spend more time on it, say 15 minutes and complete everything (with scaled weight on the thrusters) or try to go for speed? The thrusters aren't what is going to stop me up.
If the thrusters aren't the part that slows you down (have you done them before? They're A LOT harder than they look), then perhaps you should do them as rx'ed.

As for whether or not to scale, keep this in mind - there are time-specified workouts like Cindy and Mary, and task-specific workouts like Fran and Helen. If it's your desire to do them properly, then do the task-specific workouts as rx'ed, no matter how long it takes. If it's your desire to do a 5 minute workout (and trust me, they will be 5 of the most transcendent minutes of your life), then scale. Either way, good luck and have fun! (if Fran can in any possible way be considered fun...)
Old 04-01-2008, 01:48 AM   #6
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

As far as I know, dumbbells are an ok sub for Fran, but consider that 2 20# dumbbells are only 40# total, compared to a rx'd 95#. Do the math, and that's a significant amount of scaling you're doing already, which may be why the thrusters were so easy for you (they wreck me, personally, and I scale to 75#).

Nothing wrong with sets of pull-ups, as long as you're not resting like 5 minutes in between each set. Just drop from the bar/rings, rest, wiggle your arms a bit, hop back up and crank out another one.