CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-16-2007, 04:48 PM   #1
Luke Rossmo

Profile:
Zone and things like beans

Im using beans as an example and my figures are hypothetical. . On the "blocks" sheet, where the foods are broken into how much of it is one block, 1 cup of beans is say 1 block. Well most beans also contain a tonne of protein... but there it is on the carbs side of things. Do i subtract the grams of protein found in the bean from my other source of protien to get equal block? or does the protien in the bean not count? There are many other foods like this. please inform!!
Old 09-16-2007, 05:01 PM   #2
George Mounce

Profile:
Re: Zone and things like beans

They are listed as carbohydrates only due to the limited bioavailability of the protein in the item.

If you want something more representative and exact you count it. Up to you how you want to do it.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:38 PM   #3
Luke Rossmo

Profile:

I thought that the zone was all about getting into 'the zone'. To get into 'the zone' measurements and grams of fat, carbs and protein need to be accurate and precise. What you are describing does not seem to be accurate or precise. Im not sure i understand things.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:48 PM   #4
George Mounce

Profile:

You are correct the eyeball Zone or just taking things for face value blockwise is not precise at all.

The point is the extra protein in the beans isn't going to take you out of the Zone and neither will extra fat. Carbs will with their effect on insulin levels.

You could use Paleo guidelines and drop legumes all together and not have that problem. :stir:
Old 09-16-2007, 07:06 PM   #5
Luke Rossmo

Profile:

Thank you for your responses, and your patience. Would it be beneficial for me to drop legumes? could you breifly mention a few pros and cons. And is bieng in 'the zone' worth all the trouble? thank you.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:42 AM   #6
George Mounce

Profile:

Being in the Zone is more then worth all the trouble. Faster, leaner, less hungry, more energy. Of course that is just me.

The guidelines I use are the Paleolithic Diet guidelines within the context of the Zone proportions.

For the Paleo Diet I suggest (wfs): http://www.paleodiet.com/

All the information you'd ever want. I am G6PD deficient (the world's most common genetic mutation) and getting rid of legumes has had an overwhelming positive effect for me. I limit dairy, I make up my own recipes that use a bunch of flax and buckwheat flour (I do not eat grains either). You can find them here http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=20799 and I am currently working on a brownie recipe as well as perfecting my muffin recipe, both of which I hope to have up this weekend.

I supplement with 6g of Omega-3 fish oil every day, take a 100% multivitamin, and hit up with 10g of creatine (5 pre-workout, 5 post work-out).

I once again (quit for a bit due to being pretty busy at work) log everything I eat at (wfs) http://www.fitday.com to ensure I know exactly how much I'm eating. I have a notebook I keep in the kitchen to write down what I'm using for meals/snacks and then I log it in the computer when I get the chance later in the day.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:59 AM   #7
Becca Borawski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
Being in the Zone is more then worth all the trouble. Faster, leaner, less hungry, more energy. Of course that is just me.
I would second all of that except for the 'less hungry' part - I'm hungry all day every day except at cheat meals! lol! Definitely faster, leaner and more energy, though.

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
Old 09-17-2007, 10:24 AM   #8
David Wallach

Profile:

Going to second that, Becca...

Find the total macro breakdown for that meal by entering the foods into a calorie counter like www.fitday.com and tweak the portion sizes to adjust to the block needs in the most precise way possible.

I totally agree that the proteins available in most pulses and legumes are negligable at best in reference to what PERCENTAGE of their calories come from protein, not very high at all, actually. The quality of proteins are really very low as well.

If 'uber measure precision' is your goal, do the math on your blocks and fine tune the portions down to the gram using fitday.

cheers,

Chef

Old 09-17-2007, 11:15 AM   #9
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca Borawski View Post
I would second all of that except for the 'less hungry' part - I'm hungry all day every day except at cheat meals! lol! Definitely faster, leaner and more energy, though.
LOL!
Old 11-18-2007, 01:16 AM   #10
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Looks like this thread has died, but I think I'd better revive it rather than start a new one.

I'm a little unclear still on the answer to Luke's original question.

Going off of the CFJ, hypothetically say I get 5 blocks protein from eggs at breakfast. If I add something to my meal for carbs/fats which also contains protein (peanut butter, for example), would I subtract the grams of protein in the peanut butter from the grams of protein required of my eggs? Or if the argument is "no, because peanut butter protein isn't easily accesible", then substitute any other food that could take a similar role, for the sake of this argument.

I don't have the figures in front of me, but let's say 1 fat block of peanut butter has 6g protein in it.
1 egg ~ 6g protein (~1 block)

If I had 5 eggs (5 blocks), and a 1 fat block of peanut butter (which also has approx 1 block of protein), should I instead be eating 4 eggs to account for the difference?

The confusion is that the CFJ issue #21 says "pick 5 from protein, 5 from carbs, 5 from fats" (in a perfect world, this would be the most amazing and simple diet plan in the world). But in doing so, I feel like I'm actually offsetting a lot.

Eggs, for example, also contain significant amounts of fat (unless you're using egg beaters). Should I subtract the fat in the eggs from the fat needed elsewhere?

Right now I'm going through my kitchen measuring the approximate blocks of everything that I typically eat (some of it is not "fresh" or organic, but rather, individually packaged burritos, Wheat Thins, and other complete crap like that). Eventually I'll try to get rid of the junk food, even if it is zone-friendly.

But basically it's hard to measure blocks for myself when on the one hand I'm individually measuring protein/fat/carbs in each item I'm eating, and on the other hand, the CFJ says to count each thing as just 1 block of protein/fat/carb.

I might be over analyzing the whole situation (which I tend to do... a lot). Is 1 egg 1 block of protein, period? How do I know this for other foods? Or is it 1 block of protein and 1 block of fat? <--- generalized example; would appreciate a broader explanation if you have one.

Thanks!

Last edited by Elliot Fuller; 11-18-2007 at 01:18 AM..