CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 01-09-2006, 09:30 AM   #11
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:
nick.... i see you are from orlando, i am from kissimmee/st cloud...you know where that is?
i can relate i weighed about 175...2 years ago and this is the biggest i have been. Everytime someone calls me skinny i always go on an eating binge.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:33 AM   #12
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Jeff,
I have similar issues. 6', 182#. I have the baggage of coming from a bodybuilding background, one of the reasons I quit was when my future-wife-to-be said all I ever talked about was eating, working out, and that "I have to get bigger". All that work for an extra 10-15 mostly non-functional pounds!

I look at myself in the mirror and I can't say I miss the extra beef, I'm pretty dang proud of how I look. I do feel I'm 'bigger' in some ways than I was before. Then I wore this mildly fitted (not tight by any means), short sleeve sweater-like shirt out to dinner the other night and I felt scrawny. It does help thinking about the pathetic shape that everyone around me is in when I feel that way.

Bodybuilders often have this problem before shows, they lose bodyfat(!) and start this crazy complex that they're losing muscle because they aren't as 'big' as they were before. They are a strange, obsessive bunch. Glad I'm out of there.

The grass is always greener...

Dr. G
Old 01-09-2006, 10:44 AM   #13
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Jeff,
I'm 6'0" and 185. I get people telling me you gained/lost wt. Depending on how I dress. My arms are not at all impressive in a loose long sleeve, but look fairly big with short sleeves. I actually like to wear baggy shirts with long or 3/4 sleeves, really comfortable but makes me look skinny. I am finally at the point where I don't care. I'm also twice your age, when I was 22 it probably would have ticked me off as well.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:28 PM   #14
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
I am 6'4" at 185 - 190.

My wife says that if I gain any more muscle she'll make me sleep in the garage.

I don't get called 'skinny' very often, but I teach people how to fight for a job.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:46 PM   #15
Jason Erickson

Profile:
Jeff - If that's you in the pic, you've got nothing to worry about. Most people say "skinny" when they really mean to say "not obese like me."

I was once 5'10", 225 lbs... fat - but I felt like I could still move pretty well.

Now I'm down to 181-183 and WAAAaaaaayyyy better conditioning. I look back and think "lardass." In a few months I'll be down to 175ish, and when I look back I'll see myself now and think "chunky." :lol: When I get back into fighting competition, I'd rather be the rocking fit guy at the bottom of my weight class than the lard-layered dude at the top.

As for bodybuilding... who wants to be all puff, no tough? Give me strong man comps any day.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:43 PM   #16
Michael Raphael Kelley

Profile:  
I am 6^2 and around 200. People consistently estimate me as being 180 or less. Skinny guys have been known to call me stocky and big guys have been known to call me skinny. I work security at night club people constantly refer to my being a skinny bouncer. Even guys 6 inches shorter and 40 pounds lighter. It doesn't bother me, I try to minimize physical confrontations as much as possible for legal and moral reasons but if people want to take a shot at me cause of my size their more then welcome.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:54 PM   #17
William Hunter

Profile:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10792368/

According to the "latest research" you won't have to bother choking them.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:47 PM   #18
Garrett Smith

Profile:
So I asked my wife this morning how she honestly feels I look now. She tells me she prefers me with more meat on my bones. I was at 6' 178# this morning with shoes on. My avatar shows me at around 190#.

First I went on the Paleo Zone, and I've been on an even more restricted diet lately (based on my physician's advice), even over the holidays. My willpower and I were some of the few to come through the holiday season leaner (I'm sure most of the other people who did the same are on this message board).

I've got the ribs showing that Dr. Sears mentions happens at ~13% BF. I feel great, look good (IMHO, of course), and my wife tells me that she wants more meat! If only she realizes that now I've lost a bunch of BF and water/inflammation (from being gluten-free, nightshade-free, plus more consistent fish oil intake). I know that I look like an 'athlete' more now than I ever have before in my life! For frick's sake, I've got a six-pack!

Women. Prerogative. Whatever. :crazy:

Maybe I should do the CF + juice that Coach said would be so effective...JK! Nah, I'll just add some decline spider preacher curls to the end of my workout and go for the failure pump!

Whatever makes you happy. Doing CF in my one-car-worth-of-space garage gym does it for me.

Dr. G