CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-31-2004, 09:37 AM   #1
Roy Taylor

Profile:
http://bigfitness.com/7statboxworg.html

For me, this would be a dream come true, since I do only bodyweight workouts and boxing/kickboxing.

Only thing Im questioning is quality. For example, TKO brand boxing equipment. Never heard anything about its longevity. I appreciate all opinions. Good and bad.

Cheers

Roy
Old 10-31-2004, 10:40 AM   #2
Nemiah VanGuilder

Profile:  
Roy,
Although I can't vouch for the entire unit, I had a TKO heavy bag that hung in my garage for over 3 years before I moved and it couldn't come with me. I beat that thing mercilessly 3-4 times a week wearing 4 oz. gloves and it held up just fine.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:14 AM   #3
Scott Kustes

Profile:
From what I've experienced, TKO is a pretty good brand (as Nemiah said). I don't think you're gonna tear through it easily, but it's probably not top of the line either.
Old 10-31-2004, 12:42 PM   #4
Nemiah VanGuilder

Profile:  
I agree with Scott. TKO is not top of the line, but the bags will take a beating. And if you are really worried about the bag busting open, well I guess thats why God invented Duct tape.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:49 AM   #5
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
I am a Ringside fan for most boxing type equipment but I also have two bags from a company called Rhino which have held up for years without even a hint of wear. I purchased a body bag from Ringside that weighs about 100 lbs that is absolutely perfect for Thai kicking.

You probably would not like the multi station set up shown on the link. You definitely would not like the speed bag set up. A speed bag platform MUST be in a sturdy wall mount with very stiff and or heavy supports in order to get the proper rebound speed. The heavy bag should be hung with a lot more room so you can kick it from different angles and not whack it into the stand. Having 180 degrees off the wall is good but having 360 from the ceiling is much better. If you only have room for one bag get a long bannana bag so you can do you Thai kics, skip knees and all the rest. Get a smaller double ended bag than is shown. You sound like you have been doing this for awhile and with even moderate skills that size of a double ended bag will be too easy a target to hit.

The more crap you cram into a single unit the less effective each of the devices becomes.

eug