CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-25-2008, 11:33 AM   #41
Matt Thomas

Profile:
Re: The World's Greatest Athlete?

I'm fairly dissapointed with their view of Weight Lifting's speed and flexibility. I would put money on an olympic weight lifting being more flexible than anyone in th top 15 except maybe gymnasts and martial artists. Unless they're considering weightlifting, powerlifting.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:40 AM   #42
Shane Rapp

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walthall View Post
What about Chazz Michael Michaels?
Waaait. Here it is, hands down. How did all of us overlook the greatest athlete in the history of sport. We should be ashamed of ourselves. I mean, come on, the guy holds the record for the fastest costume change!
Old 06-25-2008, 12:48 PM   #43
Tom Woodward

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Rapp View Post
I mean, come on, the guy holds the record for the fastest costume change!
How could I forget Happy Gilmore. Multi sport athlete, Hole in one on a par 4, AND he took off his skate and tried to stab somebody with it. But he did lose a fistfight to Bob Barker...
Old 06-25-2008, 02:04 PM   #44
Joe Birch

Profile:

Rugby League is the most demanding sport I've ever played and it combines all aspects considered on the list at the highest level.. some immensely powerful and fit athletes playing this sport!
Old 06-25-2008, 02:31 PM   #45
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Rugby is a sport that gets under reported
Old 06-25-2008, 03:36 PM   #46
Alex Nisetich

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Yes, I was going to agree with that one. Pro football FB/HB's are very fit overall, as they are incredibly strong, powerful, agile, fast, accurate, coordinated, and balanced. The only thing that isn't tested much in a game is their endurance (especially because of all the commercial breaks and backfield substitutions) but I'm sure some of the better ones have a respectable endurance level. And LT is perhaps one of the best examples of this.
Any player on a rugby field must have all the athleticism required for a running back, AND they must have excellent endurance to run for 80 minutes with minimal stops, AND they must be able to kick, pass, tackle, and essentially wrestle opponents in the rucks and mauls. Many players (all the backs, jumpers in the line-outs too) must be able to leap as well. Where is Brian Habana or Jonny Wilkinson on that list? Jonah Lomu (he's not active anymore, but come on)?

That ESPN list is preposterous to put baseball ahead of rugby and martial arts below boxing. It's borderline ridiculous to put most baseball players ahead of a rugby player in athleticism, and the demands of the sport are far greater than anything played on a diamond. I wonder how they compiled these scores as well for the sports. Gymnastics rates lower than boxing in strength and power? Really? Rugby rates lower than figure skating in power and baseball in agility? Unbelievable.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:23 PM   #47
Joe Cavazos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Nisetich View Post
Any player on a rugby field must have all the athleticism required for a running back, AND they must have excellent endurance to run for 80 minutes with minimal stops, AND they must be able to kick, pass, tackle, and essentially wrestle opponents in the rucks and mauls.
Well this is certainly news. Do the rugby players know this? Since they have all the athleticism of NFL running backs IN ADDITION TO the plethora of skills you listed, they're missing out on millions of dollars by not playing in the NFL. We should also tell the head coaches about these rugby players so they can stack their backfields.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:31 PM   #48
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Nisetich View Post
Any player on a rugby field must have all the athleticism required for a running back, AND they must have excellent endurance to run for 80 minutes with minimal stops, AND they must be able to kick, pass, tackle, and essentially wrestle opponents in the rucks and mauls. Many players (all the backs, jumpers in the line-outs too) must be able to leap as well. Where is Brian Habana or Jonny Wilkinson on that list? Jonah Lomu (he's not active anymore, but come on)?

That ESPN list is preposterous to put baseball ahead of rugby and martial arts below boxing. It's borderline ridiculous to put most baseball players ahead of a rugby player in athleticism, and the demands of the sport are far greater than anything played on a diamond. I wonder how they compiled these scores as well for the sports. Gymnastics rates lower than boxing in strength and power? Really? Rugby rates lower than figure skating in power and baseball in agility? Unbelievable.
Yeah but can a rugby hooker or scrumback hit a round 3.5in ball moving 98 mph with a round bat better than 2.5 out of every 10 attempts? Thats what it takes to be a journeyman baseball player. That plus the agility and eye hand coordination to field that same ball now moving at well over 100 mph sometimes on the in field.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:54 PM   #49
Alex Nisetich

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cavazos View Post
Well this is certainly news. Do the rugby players know this? Since they have all the athleticism of NFL running backs IN ADDITION TO the plethora of skills you listed, they're missing out on millions of dollars by not playing in the NFL. We should also tell the head coaches about these rugby players so they can stack their backfields.
Google Jonah Lomu. There have been several attempts by the NFL to recruit rugby players. In fact, many of the Samoan players who are currently entering the NFL at greater rates than ever before grew up playing rugby as well as football. So it is happening, and it will likely increase.

Aside from that, why don't more players make the switch? Well, because rugby is quite popular internationally and has been a professional sport for some years now -they don't need to play football, and most of them probably don't want to. There is precious little love for football outside the USA, and I'm not sure why you feign surprise that rugby players aren't clamoring to play a sport they don't know which isn't popular where they come from when they can make very good money playing the game they love in their home countries. There is enough of a talent pool within the US that coaches don't need to look overseas for players, especially when nobody overseas plays football.

Either way, I still say rugby demands far more of its players than football across the board. That doesn't mean there aren't some spectacular athletes on the gridiron, it just means there's a greater athletic challenge out there and it shouldn't be ignored.

Also, Phillip, I'm not saying that any scrumhalf or, God forbid, hooker, can walk off a pitch and start hitting home runs. I'm not trying to diminish the requirements of any other sport, but I find it silly when an extremely challenging game is shortchanged by so-called "experts."

Last edited by Alex Nisetich; 06-25-2008 at 05:56 PM..
Old 06-25-2008, 06:06 PM   #50
Dave Gibbs

Profile:

As any fan of 'superstars' from the 70s knows, Daley Thompson and Brian Jacks rule supreme.