CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-22-2004, 05:58 AM   #1
Mike Peterson

Profile:  
I started Crossfit about 2 weeks ago and I love this style of training. But now I would like to get my diet in order by starting to eat Paleo. I've got a few questions...

1) Any tips or advice on how to slowly transition towards Paleo? I don't want to fell like crap while getting of grains.

2) Whats a general good ratio to keep b/w meats/veggies/nuts/fruits? Nothing concrete just to get an idea.

3) What types of nuts,fruits,veggies should I stay away from?
Old 04-22-2004, 08:19 AM   #2
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

Mike,

Honestly, I went at it cold turkey. You're going to feel like crap coming off grains and sugar - they're an addiction. It shouldnt take too long till you start feeling good on the plan.

Personally, I dont eat fruit. It doesnt sit well with me. I just try to eat meats and veggies at each meal. Since you are eating low-lower carb it's important to get enough fat. If you are eating extremely lean meat make sure you are eating some olive oil or nuts with it. You'll feel horrible with insufficient fat. Of course if your goal is to lose bodyfat, you have to keep a tab on the fat intake.

Peanuts are not a nut, they're a bean, so if you're going straight paleo you will want to avoid them. Veggies, stay away from the starchy stuff. Fruit - this is a highly personal thing for most people. I would suggest staying away from all dried and also keeping your distance from high glycemic items such as bananas.

There are a lot of guys on this board who know a helluva lot more than me when it comes to nutrition. I'm sure they'll point you in the right direction. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Keeps us posted on your progress.

-Jay
Old 04-22-2004, 10:43 AM   #3
Mike Peterson

Profile:  
Another quick question. Why is it bad to combine carbs and fats in a meal
Old 04-22-2004, 11:14 AM   #4
Paul Kayley

Profile:
Its not. Its best to avoid combining elevated insulin and fats. As you'll know not all carbs cause insulin rises. Avoid non-strategic insulin rises outside periods of maximised insulin sensitivity, or better still avoid them all together if you can recover fast enough.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:11 PM   #5
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Mike-
Do you have a copy of Enter the Zone or any of the Zone books? They can be very helpful in this transition area. www.paleofoods.com I think has quite a few free recepies.
Robb
Old 04-22-2004, 03:05 PM   #6
Mike Peterson

Profile:  
Thanks for your help, I've found out that (CrossFit Message Board) + (Search Button) = (Gold Mine of Info). The reason I'm giving paleo a try is to produce an optimal state for my body. I am not interested in loseing weight(BW 149#,BF% ~9%), just increasing performance. With this in mind I read that if you exercise a lot you should include a post WO meal with complex carbs. Would it be ok to eat a bowl of oatmeal w/ fruit 2-3 times/week?

Mike
Old 04-23-2004, 01:26 PM   #7
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Mike-
Throw some protien and a bit of fat in those meals and you are set.
Robb