CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-03-2009, 11:41 PM   #1
Sean Rooks

Profile:
Tutorials for circles and flares

Does anyone have any good tutorials for these skills? I have checked drillsandskills but they don't have a very in depth progression posted.

I would like to learn these with proper technique as well, not BBoy style.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:42 AM   #2
Jeremy Galo

Profile:
Re: Tutorials for circles and flares

For circles, there's a tutorial on beastskills. Haven't tried it myself yet though.

http://www.beastskills.com/Circles.htm (WFS)
Old 12-04-2009, 10:16 AM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

If you just want to learn them, you can learn them off of any bboy/breakdancer site.

If you want to learn technically correct flairs which look much cooler (from a gymnastics perspective IMO) then you should learn circles first, then work on flexibility and work on flairs.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:17 PM   #4
Roger Harrell

Profile:

Yeah I need to get a more in depth progression posted. Primarily you want to focus on the extension and pushing your hips around the circle. A lot of focus on the counter turn and support. Start by focusing on excellent 1/4 and 1/2 circles. Do not worry to much about "making it around". A good single circle is far more important than 3 crappy circles.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:46 PM   #5
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

"People" make a big deal about the difference between B-Boy and Gymnast flares, when to a beginner it makes little difference because you're just going to be falling on your butt ten different ways for many months. B-Boys generally "pike" (fold at the hips) more while gymnasts lay out as flat as possible the whole way around. This matters mostly as you transition from the front to the back of the flare, which a beginner won't be doing for a while. Yes learning circles with a bucket helps, but I could do many flares on the floor before I could even do one circle on a mushroom, but that's just the order I learned things in (it took me years to learn them but I was stubborn in my training).

Most people who haven't been training the progressions in gymnastics skills, or b-boys in general, simply don't have the proper foundation to learn flares in a linear way (without hitting significant barriers). Foundation meaning flexibility, strength, balance, coordination, accuracy. Flares are incredibly dynamic and unlike a lot of other movements there is no time during the motion where one can just "hang on for the ride" before the next revolution -- you have to constantly generate maximum torque by leaning, timing hand placement, and swinging the hips very deliberately while maintaining control. As you get better this becomes easier as you can initiate a strong first flare and carefully coordinate your body to maintain angular speed and with a minimal torque and thus maintain the power=torque*angular speed to stay extended and continue the motion.

I hate to impose barriers, but if you can't pull off a decent (not perfect) floor straddle press to handstand and planche you're going to have a heck of a time with flares. Here (wfs) is a decent beginner video tutorial.

General tips:
- Record yourself! Film doesn't lie.
- Find someone who knows how to do them for critique.
- Even better, find someone who has just learned them or is still learning them but is further along than you; people who have perfected them or who learned them easily generally forget or don't have a very good understanding in general of the different learning difficulties compared to those in the thick of it.
- Don't overtrain them! If you're tired, you're just going to reinforce sloppiness and make bad habits of it. Go work on something else and come back to flares later or another day.
- Just like a lot of other technique based things, grease the groove. Practice short and intense frequently.
- Work on your planche and straddle press handstand!
Old 12-05-2009, 11:33 AM   #6
Sean Rooks

Profile:

Ideally I would like to be able to progress to more difficult skills once I have mastered flares. So it makes sense to have a technically solid foundation. Which is why I want to learn gymnastic flares.

Thanks for the link Jeremy, don't know why I didn't check beastskills as well.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:53 AM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/vie...&t=1345#p11336 wfs

Besides the tutorial from Beastskills, here is a video tutorial just about as good as any. Very similar to what Vince Miller teaches in his circle clinic. This video was originally posted by a coach on the Chalkbucket forum.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uWoR...e=channel_page wfs

Doing a flare has nothing to do with a straddle planche or press HS. Both work active straddle flexibility to a degree.

It's about swing.

The coach who posted that tutorial above states that after a gymnast can do 20 floor circles, he teaches the spindle. While doing a spindle, straddle the legs and a flare naturally happens. We played with this from one of my boys who can do 20 good circles on mushroom (and a few on floor mushroom). It works but his straddle and active straddle is very poor so it doesn't aid him as it would a kid with a good straddle flexibility. Another one of boys tends to naturally flare because he is loose and has very excellent straddle flexibility. He has just starting getting circles recently and because he gets loose, he ends up flaring to keep the circle getting around. It's not what I'd prefer at this point.

As well, when training circles you have to watch for forearm splints, sore wrists and hilarious falls.

You have to lean and keep your shoulder over your wrist if not past. As big as lean as possible from side to side but also in the front and back regarding the body.

Coach Sommer likes to train forearm circles in bucket as soon as possible to teach the flat extension of the body. One of the problems with bucket circles is the boys do not lean from hand to hand as much as they should.

Last edited by Blair Robert Lowe; 12-06-2009 at 03:56 AM..
Old 12-06-2009, 11:58 AM   #8
Sean Rooks

Profile:

Thanks for the link Blair, thats just what I was looking for.

What modifications would be needed if I didn't have consistent access to a mushroom?
Old 12-06-2009, 07:20 PM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

building one.

it's possible to do it on floor, just way harder and it will be tougher on your wrists.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:06 PM   #10
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post

Doing a flare has nothing to do with a straddle planche or press HS. Both work active straddle flexibility to a degree.

It's about swing.

The coach who posted that tutorial above states that after a gymnast can do 20 floor circles, he teaches the spindle. While doing a spindle, straddle the legs and a flare naturally happens. We played with this from one of my boys who can do 20 good circles on mushroom (and a few on floor mushroom). It works but his straddle and active straddle is very poor so it doesn't aid him as it would a kid with a good straddle flexibility. Another one of boys tends to naturally flare because he is loose and has very excellent straddle flexibility. He has just starting getting circles recently and because he gets loose, he ends up flaring to keep the circle getting around. It's not what I'd prefer at this point.
The back of the flare is basically a straddle planche, so I don't know how you can say they have nothing to do with one another. Straddle press HS teaches hip abductor activation and active flex to develop clearance for flare-HS. Obviously you can learn the skill if you just practice it over and over, as there is significant technique and timing to be developed independent of your current strength and flexibility. You may run into difficulties if you don't happen to be a gymnast though, and I'm just saying those skills are good pre-reqs and can indicate where your weaknesses are if you plateau on flares. Of course I'm not a gymnastics coach, so I defer to your wisdom to a certain extent, but that is what has worked for me and a few others with zero gymnastics background.