CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-11-2006, 12:56 PM   #1
Bobby A. Smith

Profile:
What can I do to get in cardio explosive shape in 3weeks?... Of course leaving time to recup before the 30th of this month.

This is for a grappling tournament.

Old 09-11-2006, 01:12 PM   #2
Gorm Laursen

Profile:
Tabata anything ... thrusters, running, rowing, burpees, tuck jumps, push ups ... etc.

(Tabata intervals is 8 intervals of 20 seconds of maximum effort with 10 seconds pause between. Has been proven the BEST over and over again.)
Old 09-11-2006, 01:46 PM   #3
Motion Macivor

Profile:
you've just barely got time for a quick "crash cycle" basicaly this is two weeks of killing yourself followed by two weeks of rest. A group of well trained road racers were put on a program where they doubled they're volume and intensity over a two week program followed by a two week taper. There total power output was raised by 6% and time trial times were reduced by 4%. These were well trained athletes you will probably see even better results if you are a bit out of shape. you should be able to get some good results if you go 10 hard followed by 10 days easy. More specifically intervals intervals intervals. Basically try for two workouts a day, get a nap between them. eat well sleep lots. Your intervals should look like you're event. Get creative. tabata grapling followed by tabata squats folowed by tabata grapling followed by tabata pushups followed by tabata grapling followed by tabata rowing should tune you up if it doesnt kill you. Tabata intervals blend all of the energy pathways I think their is a benefit to focusing at least 4 or 5 workouts on top end sprint training (6-8 intervals lasting 10 seconds to 1 minute with a good 5 minutes of recovery time), an maybe 4-5 workouts that focus more on mid range strength endurance (5-6 grappling intervals 2-5 minutes long). This is NOT a sustainable schedule and by the end of day 12 you should be feeling like road kill. After that it's just a matter of pampering yourself back to health. During this time your workouts should be VERY easy in fact I would advise just doing the CFWU gradualy ramping up intensity until you reach a "race pace" then call it quits for the day. remember all of the fitness will be gained while you are tapering (resting) so be VERY careful not to over do it.

(Message edited by motion on September 11, 2006)
Old 09-11-2006, 01:53 PM   #4
Bobby A. Smith

Profile:
Good info. I did read an article in Men Health or Fitness praising the Tabata.

(Message edited by bobbyasmith on September 11, 2006)
Old 09-11-2006, 02:03 PM   #5
William Winger

Profile:
If you get sick of tabata, and you may, you could also concentrate on the two more anaerobic pathways:
Creatine phosphate: 125m rows, or 100m sprints with full rest in between
Glucose: 375m rows, or 300m sprints with medium rest in between

What may also help is just having someone call out at random intervals start and stop, that way you have to work as hard as you can as long as you can. This may also (to a very limited degree) mimic the randomness of your opponent in your bout.

Good luck,
Old 09-11-2006, 02:14 PM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Fight gone bad workout
Old 09-11-2006, 02:14 PM   #7
Bobby A. Smith

Profile:
William or anybody else that cares to answer,

Speaking of rows. I don't have a rowing machine and I use a 40lb dumbell. I can do 50 reps in 1:20, which I did this morning. I also did 127 which took me 8:17. This seemed very difficult. Should I lighten the dumbell or am I just a whimp.

(Message edited by bobbyasmith on September 11, 2006)
Old 09-11-2006, 02:28 PM   #8
Jesse Woody

Profile:
I would try the Crossfit WOD...I've heard it's pretty tough... ;)
Old 09-11-2006, 03:54 PM   #9
William Winger

Profile:
I don't think I'm fit to answer your question on subbing the dumbbell, since I'm relatively new to rowing, and have never had to sub for it myself. Sorry.

I guess I would say the common sub is an empty 45lb bar, so a 40lb dumbbell is pretty similar... practice makes perfect, you'll get better with time.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:38 PM   #10
Motion Macivor

Profile:
hey I just had an idea. maybe you could do some intervals that mimic your event. I'm guessing two minutes on one minute off.