CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 11-12-2007, 09:55 PM   #1
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:
Grace

As rx'd is "Clean and Jerk 135lb." So is it a full-squat-clean?

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/grace-off.wmv

shows greg and dave doing power cleans. Is that as rx'd?

I am sure this may have been brought up before, I have seen a similar thread somewhere but can't find it.

Thanks in advance

Dimitri Dziabenko
Old 11-12-2007, 11:08 PM   #2
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Re: Grace

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=21719 w/fs

I think this is what you are looking for. And now to fire the first shell - full squat cleans. *runs away*
Old 11-13-2007, 10:05 AM   #3
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Dimitri,

I think it's a full squat clean if you make it one. The beautiful thing about our community is the freedom to play around with the programming.

next time you do nasty girls (guys) throw a full squat clean in there instead of the hang power cleans...major difference.

I think the key is to mix it up, and don't always take the easy way out...sometimes you need to punish yourself.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:11 AM   #4
Brandon Oto

Profile:

This has actually been definitively answered now, though of course you can always do it non-rx'd. Grace and Isabel are meant to be ground-to-overhead "anyhow" workouts, so you can use any variation on the basic clean/jerk and snatch forms you'd like.

Other workouts, like Elizabeth, are exactly what they're prescribed as, which is generally full squat motions.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:27 AM   #5
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Aushion, change "sometimes" to "always," and I agree wtih you 100%.

Dimitri, this has been a topic of some confusion. At one point, Coach said Grace was 135# from the floor to overhead "anyhow." So that's it. If you can powerclean and push press it, great. If you have to do a proper OLY clean and split jerk, that's ok, too. If you want to skip these workouts entirely because you don't think you should do 30 reps of OLY lifts, I understand.

This is a departure from other CF workouts, where the prescription is proper form. However, this gets bastardized too as people do Linda with power cleans, Elizabeth with power cleans, and Isabel with God knows what.

I've done Isabel once and probably won't do it again. If I do Grace, it will be with muscle cleans and push press, and I will call it that. When deciding "how to do" these workouts, I do the workout as written. A clean is a clean. A power clean is a power clean. Etc.

Don't make every workout a 4-minute metcon effort. Fighting it out for 20 minutes, if that's what you have to do, is good for the soul. Be hard on yourself. You can save 20 minutes by doing powercleans in Linda, but you're taking 55 front squats out of the workout.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:11 PM   #6
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Thanks for the answers,

Although the powerclean seems a lot faster, I think I could use the front squats. Full range of motion just seems more beneficial (and harder). Actually, in general, I tend to go with full range of motion (butt to ankles during thrusters in Fran etc...), unless it is really unreasonable, in terms of time, for me to do so. I think I will try to go full range of motion today and see what happens.

Dimitri Dziabenko
Old 11-13-2007, 07:13 PM   #7
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

HAHA! Aye Gant, I think punish yourself was relative there, I think most CF'ers always punish themselves (at least I hope they do) but sometimes you gotta introduce yourself to oblivion...sorta' like your veteran's day thing.

Dmitri, I think you're on it man. Have fun.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:57 PM   #8
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Ok, my record for Grace on the PC version is 14min. I did the Full-squat version today and got 29 minutes!
I know I was fairly sore from doing Tabata thrusters yesterday, but still, it was amazingly hard. In addition to your heart racing (trying to get the weight overhead), your legs start burning too! Wonderful! I think that is the version I will stick with and monitor over time.

Dimitri Dziabenko