CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-19-2008, 12:18 PM   #11
Andy Petranek

Profile:
Re: How do we get people to start logging their workouts?

Don't know if you guys train at an affiliate, but one of the advantages is having a tight knit group of people whom you workout with and interact with who PUBLICLY keep their workout journals in a discussion forum. That's what we do - http://www.petranekfitness.com/cms/index.php/forums/ - and it is THE most popular part of our discussion forums bar none.

Personally, I've found that when my own workout journals transcends the confines of my own little private diary, notebook or excel spreadsheet, it has a much greater impact and helps to keep me on top of my game.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:13 PM   #12
Christian Gotcher

Profile:

I started logging as soon as I saw the results of a few friends of mine who started logging their workouts. Show them a couple of formats (the mainpage comments, if they follow the mainpage, the workout logs section of this forum, the little black binder strategy, logsitall) and explain the benefits. Part of it is also building a culture of data-based and history-based fitness, tracking prior data to acheive a future goal. If they don't have a set goal, why would they bother tracking their progress towards nothing? Those who take it seriously will catch on.
M/22/155|Murph-28:19|Helen-9:39|Annie- 5:12|CFT-700|1.5 Mile-8:35|Strict PU-24|Fran-5:24 log
Old 07-19-2008, 01:50 PM   #13
Shane Rapp

Profile:

I think people don't keep journals because:
- They don't realize how important journals are.
- They are too lazy, which is ironic if they're working out.
- They think it makes them look dumb at the gym.

All you can really do is tell people how important it is. Tell them:
- If they don't use a journal to keep track of their progress they'll likely just keep doing the same thing over and over and wont progress.
- If they don't keep a journal it'll be harder to see what worked and what didn't.
- If they don't keep a journal it'll make it harder to get accurate advice from someone who's more knowledgeable.
- The journal will help provide motivation as they see it fill up a little each day.

I'm sure some others can come up with a lot more reasons to keep one but those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head. All you can really do is try to tell them how important keeping a journal is. Tell them even a lot of pro athletes do it. Tell them it gives them a place to write down the phone # of the girl they met doing SLDL's. Whatever works.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:26 PM   #14
Bill Patton

Profile:

i think the success of the concept2 log and logsitall is the ability to do three things:
1. set benchmarks and goals
It can be hard to set goals in a vaccuum - but if your goal is to - for instance - make it into the middle of the pack in every workout - keeping a workout log can help be a part of it.

2. to measure progress - relative to yourself and others
Simply tracking your total miles run, pounds lifted, etc. can be motivational. Celebrate the milestones.

3. to generate a sense of community.
List your gym/college/town/club in the affiliation - and then find others with similar.

hope that helps...

-bill