CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-15-2008, 02:27 PM   #1
Kevin Burns

Profile:
How much stronger

Besides utilizing a lot of the metcon workouts I've gotten into kettlebell training. With a 53lb (24kg) kbell I can do the following max reps.

20 swings
15 cleans (each arm)
15 presses (each arm)

My question is this. As compared to the huge body builder type guys in the gym who aren't doing any type of crossfit/kettlebell training how much stronger am i then they are if at all ?

Should i expect to be stronger than someone who does a pure body building workout ?

Just curious.

Thanks,

Kevin
Old 07-15-2008, 04:10 PM   #2
Derek Franks

Profile:
Re: How much stronger

Hand them a kettlebell and find out?
Old 07-15-2008, 04:58 PM   #3
Jason Lin

Profile:

How much can you do in cable tricep pushdown?
Old 07-15-2008, 05:28 PM   #4
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Burns View Post
Besides utilizing a lot of the metcon workouts I've gotten into kettlebell training. With a 53lb (24kg) kbell I can do the following max reps.

20 swings
15 cleans (each arm)
15 presses (each arm)

My question is this. As compared to the huge body builder type guys in the gym who aren't doing any type of crossfit/kettlebell training how much stronger am i then they are if at all ?

Should i expect to be stronger than someone who does a pure body building workout ?
um... NO! If they are a REAL BB'er (or a REAL strength trainer who is using a BB-esque routine) their strength should be higher than yours (assuming similar body types/sizes, ect). Maybe a lot higher.

Although you may find you can swing a kettelbell around a whole lot more... because their metcon likley sucks, and kettelbells aren't that heavy (well, depending on what you're doing anyway... swinging or cleaning a 53 isn't heavy, pressing one is sort of heavy).

And, if they're just some guy doing a half-assed BB routine and eating like crap... yeah, you could easily be stronger. maybe a LOT stronger.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:29 PM   #5
Derek Weaver

Profile:

apples to oranges.

A really big bodybuilding guy will have some reasonably impressive numbers, but he can't really apply it to anything but bodybuilding (yes, I came from the bodybuilding background.. speaking from experience before anyone questions why I am so naive).

While CF'ers are after absolute strength, the big thing is strength endurance. Granted, if you have a 200 lb. thruster, then the 95 lb. thrusters in Fran will start off quite a bit easier.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:30 PM   #6
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Burns View Post

20 swings
15 cleans (each arm)
15 presses (each arm)

Just curious.

Thanks,

Kevin
I think you have succumbed to pavel's design of creating super kettlebell master race.

Dude, not sure what gym your training at, but some of the gyms that i have been in, even the body builders are moving alot more weight than 53 lbs.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:09 PM   #7
Alex Bond

Profile:

You should expect to be stronger than them at kettlebell work, and you should expect them to be stronger than you at cheesy cable stuff, plus BB staples like the bench and curl.

The real question is, why do you care?
Old 07-15-2008, 06:49 PM   #8
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank E Morel View Post
I think you have succumbed to pavel's design of creating super kettlebell master race.

Dude, not sure what gym your training at, but some of the gyms that i have been in, even the body builders are moving alot more weight than 53 lbs.
YEAAAAH BUDDDY!!! light weight.
Still, supplemental work with kettlebells isn't bad or anything, you could spend time practicing snatches, side and bent presses, etc. There's a lot out there if you like doing it.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:15 PM   #9
Lol Mettam

Profile:

Compared to the big guys at my local gym you would be like a weak little weed! (I am too.) These guys are shoulder pressing over 300lb for reps! Deads are often well over 600lb and squats have been known to go that high too. However, they are all on large quantities of 'vitamins'. I am guessing you are not.

Crossfit is much more about functional strength and power and not at all about how you look in the mirror (or on stage). I can do more pull-ups than any of the big guys (as I bet you could too) but then I don't weigh 275+lb.

I used to want to be 'big', but, when I found out that no amount of training would get me there without additional 'help', I decided that being the best I can be would have to do. Crossfit requires a far greater range of skills than typical bb training which is why I was drawn to it.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:15 AM   #10
Jason David

Profile:

Lol,
In your signature you list "total" which includes bench press. CF Total uses the shoulder press for determining the crossfit total.