CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-27-2011, 08:53 PM   #1
Pär Larsson

Profile:
George Foreman grill yay or nay?

Hi.
I'm slowly starting to try to make myself eat a little better.

Been using the George Foreman grill for a few years just to conveniently cook some steaks/chickenbreasts and whatnot.

Q: Would I be better served just using a frying pan so as not to lose as much nutritional value out of the meat? I searched this forum and found an old thread saying not much other than juices/water came out of the meat, and I'm not sure I really need to take fat out of my meat.

For reference my diet for years has consisted of medium-high daily alcohol intake, frozen pizza, beer, ice cream, noodles, pasta and cookies washed down with copious amounts of juice. I cut the juice and slowed down on the other bad stuff.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:01 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: George Foreman grill yay or nay?

If you're still eating and drinking much of the junk you mentioned, then losing a few nutrients from what runs off of the Foreman Grill will be the least of your worries. Get rid of the crap in favor of chicken and steak, however you want to cook it, and you'll be much better off. Don't worry about a little bit of stuff running off the meat.

I used my Foreman Grill almost every day when I lived in an apartment that didn't allow outside charcoal/propane grills, and it worked out fine for me. The convenience of it cooking the meat quickly made up for anything I might have lost with the juice running off.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:06 PM   #3
Shane Skowron

Profile:

I've got one. It's probably the best thing there is for cooking fish filets really quickly.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:01 AM   #4
Fabian Colussi

Profile:

Yeah I have one too, I find it's great for chciken breast, locks in some moisture so it doesn't turn out too dry. I usually also include some sliced zucchini or eggplant in there as well. Just add carbs and voila! Quick and easy meal!
Old 01-28-2011, 09:43 AM   #5
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
The convenience of it cooking the meat quickly made up for anything I might have lost with the juice running off.
Seconded. I have/love the foreman grill, its perfect for me, and because I like my meat rare - mid rare not too much gets cooked off. I generally use it for burgers or single steaks, most anything else gets cooked in the oven or crock pot. Definitely spend the extra for one with removable plates, it makes cleaning exponentially easier.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:09 AM   #6
Brian Clarke

Profile:

I agree with what's been said so far; I love my Foreman grill for its convenience, and I don't find I lose too much fat when cooking. I'd prefer a BBQ but in the middle of January, the grill is just fine.

Also, if you marinade your meat (and I'm specifically thinking of chicken breasts, but I'm sure other meats would be the same), the juice and drippings that drip off make a tasty sauce to pour back on the meat, or on some side veggies. So, you're getting the lost drippings and extra flavour back.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:35 AM   #7
adam adkins

Profile:

The George Foreman Grill neither "knocking out the fat" nor "bleeds valuable nutrition" into the tray. It just cooks the meat - and does an nice job of it.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:42 AM   #8
David Meverden

Profile:

My roommate had one in college. Those things are great! I miss making vegetable kabobs on it (I'd put some of the following on there with a good slathering of italian dressing: mushrooms, onions, peppers, pineapple, zuccini, yellow squash. A quick & delicious side dish).
Old 01-28-2011, 12:16 PM   #9
Jason Martin

Profile:

Cooks great, but was a pain to clean (for me anyway). I pan-sear and/or broil as needed. Takes about the same amount of time if you take into account warm-up time for the Foreman. Cleaning a flat pan is darn easy.

Also, some of the Foreman's I have used do not get hot enough to get a nice brown on meat. It cooks very tender, but I like what happens to meat with brief high-heat cooking.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:23 PM   #10
Eric Schell

Profile:

Being in college, my George Foreman is involved in every meal. Just got a pork chop off of it and threw it in a salad which I'm eating as we speak.