CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:05 AM   #1
Brendan McNamar

Profile:
Functional Movement System - FMS

Looking to get better in 2 areas.

I want a system to screen new people for mobility issues. Doesn't have to be prefect but at least catch the big stuff. It seems in CrossFit we just find something people can't do when it comes around and then address that mobility issue. Not very systematic. Is FMS worth learning? Does it do a good enough job? Take the course or just buy the book?

Second I here PTs and others talk about people who are not activating a muscle correctly. Seems like it is often gluts. I'm interested in how a coach spots this and then how to correct this?

Thanks for any light you can shed on these subjects.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:59 AM   #2
David E. Garcia

Profile:
Re: Functional Movement System - FMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
Looking to get better in 2 areas.

I want a system to screen new people for mobility issues. Doesn't have to be prefect but at least catch the big stuff. It seems in CrossFit we just find something people can't do when it comes around and then address that mobility issue. Not very systematic. Is FMS worth learning? Does it do a good enough job? Take the course or just buy the book?

Second I here PTs and others talk about people who are not activating a muscle correctly. Seems like it is often gluts. I'm interested in how a coach spots this and then how to correct this?

Thanks for any light you can shed on these subjects.
FMS is definitely worth doing if you are looking for a tried and true systematic approach to screening and correcting mobility and stability issues. There are a ton of professional teams who do not allow their athletes on the floor/field prior to scoring a minimum number on the FMS. I took the online home study FMS 1 cert and passed on the first try. If you could get to a seminar, I would recommend that instead but the home course with the book is more than enough to get your feet wet and start screening athletes. FMS also has a TON of really great stuff on their youtube channel on the screen, on correctives, and on movement. Check them out.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:47 PM   #3
Kenneth Cheung

Profile:

I applied it at the Box i coached at, the vast majority of ppl passed easily, with the only thing being highlighted being imbalances between right and left, which i felt was insufficient for what i was looking for.

i found that whilst it was a 'screening' tool, it was too general so that only the most obvious were being grouped - 0 - totally not ready to train, 1 - not ready to train, need foundational work, 2 - needs improvement 3 - ok to train.

so i'd have liked it to be more specific/extensive as my entire athlete population fell between 2 and 3 - suggesting that this is where the test/screen needs to be more specific.

(sorry if i'm not making sense! hard to explain)

as it stands, i found it very limited, and i'm not keen to renew next year.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:26 PM   #4
Steve Agocs

Profile:

It's important to note that the FMS is a SCREEN, it's not an assessment and those are two totally different things. Screen is basically yes/no, while assessment is why.

For example, can someone do X test properly, yes or no? That's the screen.

If someone fails X test, then further assessment is needed to know why.

Do they have an orthopedic or health problem? Is it a simple mobility issue? Is it a stability issue that is pretending to be a mobility issue? Etc etc.

The problem a lot of people run into is that they want the FMS to be something it isn't and cannot be.

Listen to Dan John's recent episode on the Strength Matters podcast and buy his latest book, that may be more what you're looking for.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:26 AM   #5
Andrew Bolliger

Profile:

I am FMS L1 and found it to be informative and moderately useful. I think a good CrossFit coach will see the same mobility and stability inefficiencies quickly in a few movements. I would not spend the money again. Many times I see people try to prove their worth and knowledge with flashy tests and credentials. With a solid intro program and a good set of eyes any CrossFit coach can see the same issues with an athlete and help correct them. I used the FMS kit for a while and am now back to my previous methods of observation during the basics CrossFit foundation movements.