CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-09-2005, 08:25 PM   #1
Steven C. Herndon

Profile:

Having read some of Dr. DeVany's stuff, this article http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/313/, and some discussions here, how important is breakfast? I get the impression it is ok for me to skip, but was always told that to eat breakfast kicked up my basal metabolisim for the day, let my body know food was available and that it was ok to run at full speed since I could get more calories. What are the thoughts of some of the more knowlegable here?
Old 08-10-2005, 02:50 AM   #2
Chris Longley

Profile:
When dieters skip breakfast, they usually only eat lunch and dinner. This means that their total daily caloric intake has dropped by atleast a third.

I see breakfast as being the first meal of the day i.e. you're breaking your fast. To me this means that if my first meal of the day is at 11am, that's breakfast.

I think the discussions here that you refer to are about Intermittent Fasting, whereby you fast for 15ish hours each day. The thing to remember here is that what you have to do is eat the same number of calories as you normally would, but in a shorter time period. So instead of eating 2500cal between 7am and 10pm, you eat the same 2500cal, but between 9am and 6pm.

To further illustrate the point, if you're doing 24hr fasts on alternate days, then you'd need to double your calorie intake on your non-fasting days to make up the calorie defecit.

Bottom line is that breakfast is important but do you have some 'give' in the time that you eat it. Also, I'd say that if you do have breakfast later, then you need to make sure that you maintain your daily calorie intake.