CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-19-2010, 08:31 PM   #1
John Hartman

Profile:
Sweet Potato

Just trying to get some ideas for my new healthy eating regime. Any input on sweet potato's? I know I have always been a big fan of these spuds and no i don't drench them with cinnamon and butter or cheese. Just curious if anyone has these in their diet.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:48 PM   #2
Troy Becker

Profile:
Re: Sweet Potato

I'm all over them personally. Mark just did a thing on them in his daily apple, he seems to approve. Me, though, I drench them in butter a lot of the time, cause I'm so skinny.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:49 PM   #3
Benjamin Wheeler

Profile:

use the search functions brother.

Yes, sweet potatoes a fairly nutrient dense and also a great source of carbohydrate post-workout.

What wrong with drenching them in butter and cinnamon? Add bacon in their and you've got a super food!
Old 11-19-2010, 09:08 PM   #4
Joe Bernard

Profile:

I have them PWO and they are great. I cut them into thick slices, put some olive oil on them, and bake them.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:28 AM   #5
Ben Kissam

Profile:

+1 to above.

Usually lay them on a cookie sheet covered in spices and olive oil. The spices crisp on the outside and make it perfect inside if you cook it right. Delicious.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:24 AM   #6
Hannu Kahila

Profile:

Hmmm... Why you guys use olive oil in cooking. Cook with coconut oil and then pour some olive oil when the food is in the plate. That's how it won't go rancid and tastes better. There still is 10% of PUFAs in olive oil....
Old 11-21-2010, 01:01 PM   #7
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannu Kahila View Post
Hmmm... Why you guys use olive oil in cooking. Cook with coconut oil and then pour some olive oil when the food is in the plate. That's how it won't go rancid and tastes better. There still is 10% of PUFAs in olive oil....
When I bake them I need the olive oil to keep them from getting too burnt, plus olive oil is good for you and all that. You can't taste it one bit though.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:24 PM   #8
Hannu Kahila

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Becker View Post
When I bake them I need the olive oil to keep them from getting too burnt, plus olive oil is good for you and all that. You can't taste it one bit though.
Olive oil is good for you but not if it gets rancid while heating. You need oil for cooking for most of the foods but you should use coconut oil. It won't go rancid. It's only short or medium chain SFA, no PUFAs.
It doesn't matter what oil it is, if there is PUFAs it won't stand the heating process.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:26 PM   #9
S.S.

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannu Kahila View Post
Olive oil is good for you but not if it gets rancid while heating. You need oil for cooking for most of the foods but you should use coconut oil. It won't go rancid. It's only short or medium chain SFA, no PUFAs.
It doesn't matter what oil it is, if there is PUFAs it won't stand the heating process.
I've never had a problem having olive oil go rancid while heating. How exactly does that work?
Old 11-21-2010, 01:40 PM   #10
Hannu Kahila

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
I've never had a problem having olive oil go rancid while heating. How exactly does that work?
It's just chemistry. PolyUnsaturatedFattyAcids (10% in oliveoil) will break in heating process.Due to its chemical structure and a large amount of unsaturated fats, cooking makes olive oil very susceptible to oxidative damage.
If you wan't to be healthy these are things you should consider and take for granted.