CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-24-2009, 11:15 PM   #1
Daniel Krull

Profile:
Arrow I got a question for all the experienced CFs...

I just thought it would be a cool idea to have a Q&A section for newbies that wanted to ask questions for experienced CFs. Here are my questions so far...

In what ways has CrossFit positively and negatively affected you physically?

Oh and also, is there anything that you want to share with the new CFs that you've learned down the road that you do or don't want happening to them?

Please reply like this:

Q: Quote the question then
A: answer the question

Thank you!

Last edited by Daniel Krull; 01-24-2009 at 11:42 PM..
Old 01-25-2009, 12:28 AM   #2
Michael Wengloski

Profile:
Re: I got a question for all the experienced CFs...

what ways has CrossFit positively and negatively affected you physically?

Positively, it's been crazy. Awesome shape, I never run anymore yet run better than i used to. negatively I would say I am a lot smaller. It doesn't really bug me but when I bump into people I haven't seen in a year+ they always comment "What happend, you used to be huge?" that kind of annoys me.

what do i wish i knew....

I wish I did Starting Strength from the very begining. I'm doing it now and getting out of shape and knowing that I'm going to have to get back into shape is a bad feeling.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:57 AM   #3
Tyler Smith

Profile:

In what ways has CrossFit positively and negatively affected you physically?

Positively:
I came to realize the many disciplines that crossfit encompasses from Gymnastics to Oly Lifting... I am now more than average in nearly all movements, and am quickly becoming better and better at all barbell movements. I learned handstands, L-sits and pullups, muscle-ups, pistols, c&j, snatch, and the list goes on and on... I am in much better shape than I was previously was with my strength training routine. I am improving with each WOD.

Negatively:
It is not really a negative, but I am smaller than I was with strength training... Crossfit caused me to lose about 10-15 lbs of body fat... I was at 12% and now I'm around 6%... however "size" is not a concern of mine anymore. My bench press has dropped about 25lbs, but again, it doesn't really bother me... That's about it, no negatives really.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:54 AM   #4
Christian Lemburg

Profile:

Q: In what ways has CrossFit positively and negatively affected you physically?

A: Positively - much stronger, more flexible, better endurance, much tougher mentally, more confident in approaching unfamiliar physical tasks, taught me O-lifting that I absolutely love. Negatively - a high level of stress on the job and hard CrossFit efforts on top is a recipe for being really tired and getting a cold when you finally relax. Be sensible about what you can take.

Just my 2 cent,

Christian
Old 01-28-2009, 04:20 PM   #5
Bob Guere

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wengloski View Post
what ways has CrossFit positively and negatively affected you physically?

Positively, it's been crazy. Awesome shape, I never run anymore yet run better than i used to. negatively I would say I am a lot smaller. It doesn't really bug me but when I bump into people I haven't seen in a year+ they always comment "What happend, you used to be huge?" that kind of annoys me.

what do i wish i knew....

I wish I did Starting Strength from the very begining. I'm doing it now and getting out of shape and knowing that I'm going to have to get back into shape is a bad feeling.
Michael, did you go see Coach Burgener yet?
Old 01-28-2009, 04:44 PM   #6
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
CrossFit has been positive and negative for me.

Positive as in it taught me a way to scientifically calculate my own level of fitness via a very well thought out definition of set fitness.

Negative in that my stress level goes up sometimes when I just go at some of the stuff I have seen and see on the boards. I often don't get how it is 2008 and people don't know how to use Google effectively. Negative when I see people making everything into a competition against each other rather than a competition to improve themselves. I'm more of a self-inclined purist in that regard.

Things to tell newbies: Scale, scale, scale.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:35 AM   #7
E B

Profile:

Re: Q&A thread for experienced CFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Krull View Post

Oh and also, is there anything that you want to share with the new CFs that you've learned down the road that you do or don't want happening to them?
A: Positively: It made it easier for me to become a ranger. I wasn't the best at anything, but damn sure I wasn't the worst one either. I carried more for longer distances easier than others carried less for shorter distances. Why? Crossfit.

Negatively:
I hate army PE or FYFO as it's called here, because I know it ineffective. I'm still a bit skinny, could really need a bit more muscles.

Ignore all the glances and **** you get from people when you workout. Eventually people will see your improvement and fun you're having, and wanting to join you. (And the first CF workout anyone should do is Murph. Dead serious. If that doesn't get you hooked, you're weird)
Old 01-31-2009, 05:03 PM   #8
Daniel Krull

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eirik Brandsaas View Post
(And the first CF workout anyone should do is Murph. Dead serious. If that doesn't get you hooked, you're weird)
That was my first CF workout. I haven't quitted yet!
Old 02-01-2009, 02:32 AM   #9
S.S.

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eirik Brandsaas View Post
(And the first CF workout anyone should do is Murph. Dead serious. If that doesn't get you hooked, you're weird)
That was mine. 32:30 with deadhang pullups. I thought that was good until I tried the other WODs...