CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-19-2009, 08:15 PM   #1
Eric Dewees

Profile:
Workouts to build fast footwork

I have been doing the WODs for a while now. I have improved greatly in my overall fitness. However, I my speed in my foot work for Tang Soo Do has slowed.

Does anybody have any recommendations for drills or workouts following the CrossFit methods?

Thanks
Old 01-19-2009, 08:25 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Workouts to build fast footwork

wfs
http://www.performancemenu.com/artic...ty&shortyID=44
Old 01-19-2009, 08:51 PM   #3
Calin E Brierley

Profile:

try jump rope, it worked for me when i was competing in Tae Kwon Do and teaching. also alot of high speed switching and kicking drills. try to do all of them standing on your toes and the balls of your feet. also don't do alot of have leg work, as in heavy squats and calf raises. the leaner your leg muscles the better.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:06 PM   #4
Murph DeVane

Profile:

You could always look into one of those agility ladders:

(wfs) I've had great experience with those although for me it was not for martial arts it was for rugby primarily (my agility/nimbleness increased a lot so I'm sure you would still see some benefit in martial arts)

Also, when I was digging up that link I found another tool that we had early in my high school years. It is similar to jump roping in the muscles used/technique and probably more germane to martial arts than the ladder.
Its called the Dot Drill:
http://www.biggerfasterstronger.com/...&search=&page=
(wfs)
You do different set combinations of jump patterns (one legged, two legged, etc. and you can do the set timed so you can track improvement).
Old 01-22-2009, 11:17 AM   #5
Louis Hayes

Profile:

http://mtnathlete.com/subpage_detail...113&page_ID=14
WFS
Old 01-22-2009, 01:55 PM   #6
James Groom

Profile:

Jumping rope is great as mentioned above, but really if your wanting to see results in a spar, you have to make sure that your practice directly simulates the techniques you want to execute.

What I mean is, if you want to do a quick movement across the ground, followed by a quick strike, then you have to work that directly. That's the only way it unfolds as directly in the ring.

I used to spend a few months away from the gym inbetween fights, but I'd still train hard so the return would be easier. Depending on what I did, such as having a bag set on an angle, which I would hit an uppercut, take a step around the bag another upper, then step back the other direction and hit with jab>>crosses as my feet allowed. When I returned and had some sparring, I was turning and slamming those uppercuts, turning back and drilling #2s down the pipe.

Repeat the cycle a few months later without the angled bag work, I lost the upper, or more accurately, the foot steps to set it up easier. You can practically program yourself physically if you think about it ahead of time. Unfortunately, you usually see the results and then connect the work in reverse order, so it's not always easy.

PS I dunno nuffin about TSD, just boxing, but it should work out similarly. You are live sparring right? (not point sparring, not light sparring)