CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-01-2007, 02:21 PM   #1
Evan Gray

Profile:
I know I have seen quite a bit of debate about this on previous threads that I have viewed but here it goes:

I have been looking at the site and the boards a lot this summer and think there is a lot of great stuff here.

I want to start doing CF, I am setting a goal of next summer, but I don't know all the movements and my strength is extremely low. According to Rips standards I fall into the untrained catergory in most of all of the lifts. I am currently about 6'6" and around 170. Over the past couple of years I have done different types of workouts ranging from BBing to endurance training. I have had little success gaining alot of strength, or keeping it for that matter. My ability to achieve METCON I think is pretty good. I did some simple fit stuff for a month or so this summer and saw some good results in my ability to crank out rounds. But my strength never really increases. Are there any reccomendations to gaining strength and learning all of the movements so that I can do CF effectively?

I have been looking into Rip's SS program, ME black box or just scaling but I have no idea what I should do. Any thoughts or success stories would been great. Thanks!
Old 08-01-2007, 02:46 PM   #2
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Evan, if you're not used to doing the strength lifts, you would benefit from instruction. Look up affiliates in your area (don't know how many are close to Carrollton).

If you don't have the funds for a trainer or affiliate, contact my virtual training buddy, Dana Stewart. He works out in Plano or Addison (not sure). He can smoke me in metcon and isn't far behind in strength. Send him a PM; he may be close to you.

http://www.crossfit.com/cgi-bin/discus/board-profile.cgi?action=view_profile&pro file=djs-users
Old 08-01-2007, 05:14 PM   #3
Robert Olajos

Profile:
Why wait 'til next summer to start? Start now with the BrandX scaled WODs. Start at the buttercup level and by next summer you'll be running with the pack or better. Like they say, "there's no time like the present."

(wfs)

http://forum.brandxmartialarts.com/viewforum.php?f=16
Old 08-01-2007, 05:23 PM   #4
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Yeah, just do it.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:37 AM   #5
Colm O'Reilly

Profile:
"You don't get fit to Crossfit, you do Crossfit to get fit!"

This is a line myself and a friend bust out whenever some says they can't do Crossfit.

I'll admit, it is intimidating when you look at some of the WODs (take today for example). The unusual terms (what's a muscle up?) and the high reps (100 squats!) may make it feel like it's beyond your reach. This is only for elite athletes, you think, and move on.

If you can move your body you can start applying the Crossfit methodolody to your training, even if you can't complete the Workout of the Day yet. If you can't run for 400m, could you walk it? Or maybe run 100m, walk 100m, run, walk?

If you train to build up yourself up to Cfit you'll still be humbled by it (that's the beauty), but if you start out and push the intensity a little bit each day, you'll reap the rewards far sooner.

Plus, you'll be part of that elite that train for function and performance and don't waste your time in the gym.

Best of luck,
Colm
-Motivational
Old 08-02-2007, 04:25 AM   #6
John McBrien

Profile:
I think if you search about strength loss, strength gains, etc. or simply take a look at the testimonials of people here you will see that CF will help with your strength.

BrandX is a great place to start - jump right in.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:03 AM   #7
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
I agree, don't put off to tomorrow what you can do today. Welcome BTW, and keep us posted on your progress!
Old 08-02-2007, 06:21 AM   #8
Peter Dell'Orto

Profile:
Nothing wrong with doing a strength program like Starting Strength (or others like it, there are a few) for a few months before you jump into crossfit. The other option is to scale the WODs. I think those are your two best options - either

- dive into a full-out strength program centered on compound lifts like the bench press, squat, clean, deadlifts, rows for a few months.
or
- dive into the WODs and scale as necessary to complete them.

Both are fine. FWIW, I'm doing a mix of both. I have one heavy weight day (not quite maximum effort, but rather 3x5 of compound lifts) to ensure I continuously gain raw strength, and I do 4 WODs a week on other days and scale when necessary.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:39 AM   #9
Tom Fetter

Profile:
Welcome.

I did Starting Strength for 3 months, at which point I jumped into the WODs, scaling as necessary. The MetCon has made me feel so much better, that I wish I'd simply started with a BrandX or similar scaling, and put a Starting Strength workout for the middle day of 3.

I still scale, as I mentioned in another thread. There are various approaches as to how to do this - each with their own merits. But jump in!
Old 08-02-2007, 08:40 AM   #10
Evan Gray

Profile:
Thanks to all for the help.

Peter: How is that program working out for you currently. How do you set it up?

Tom: So youre saying to do a kind of SS, CF Black box hybrid? In which you would do the scaled WOD, SS workout, WOD, rest and repeat. Is this the kind of thing you are talking about?