CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-23-2005, 02:03 PM   #1
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
How does one achieve maximal acceleration (say, for 100m sprint) without the use of starting blocks? I assume the stance is staggered but additional information on this would be really cool.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:13 PM   #2
Ross Hunt

Profile:
How does one achieve maximal acceleration (say, for 100m sprint) without the use of starting blocks?

Quickly...

very, very quickly. :wink:

You might try accelerating into a sprint as quickly as possible from different positions (wide squat, lunge, low or high push-up position, on your back, whatever). I can't swear to the effectiveness of this activity (I've only done it a couple times) but I can guarantee that it's really fun.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/13278.jpg
Old 08-23-2005, 05:42 PM   #3
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Let's see...if you have a friend with you, you can use their foot as a block. Have them sit behind you and put their foot out for your front foot to use as a push point. Don't worry about the back one. If that's not an option, a staggered stance is going to be best...strong leg forward seemed to work best for me. I go right leg about 18" or so in front of the left (from the front of the toes) and sorta twist downwards onto my front leg. It seems to give me a bit of burst from the untwisting.

As for accelerating, here's what I recall worked best from high school sprinting...stay low for drive and don't be concerned with going completely straight. I generally drove from one side of the lane to the other (while facing forward obviously)...basically a wider base and shorter steps. Raise over about your first 10 steps and settle into your form. Staying low requires some practice. The drive should almost be completely natural.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:44 PM   #4
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Hmmm, the way I have always seen it, being able to accelerate without the blocks is more useful, being that you'll rarely have blocks in real life. In the WOD I've been creating for a group of friends, I've thrown sprints in to the mix in a variety of ways. My favorite was the quadrapedal movement for 10m, followed by a 15m sprint. Mix it up.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:06 PM   #5
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
As long as the surface isn't too slippery, you should be fine without blocks. Different starting positions can be fun. Concentrate on the basics: keeping a good forward lean (from the ankles, not waist), driving the arms, and taking smaller, more rapid strides to get started, and working into an "upright" posture and normal stride length. That being said, the best practice for sprinting is....sprinting.

If you wanted to, you could also do some overspeed training with fancy equipment or just a slight downhill.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:34 PM   #6
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Be careful on the knees if sprinting downhill.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:55 PM   #7
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
I'll second Scott's caution. Shins, calves, and especially ankles are very on the limit when sprinting downhill. Build up your speed gradually. Make sure your lower legs are strong enough before you start going flat out. First learn to go downhill in a good jogging pace, actively braking, then move up the speed from there.

Oh, and learn how to stop effectively. In fact, rapid breaking is a workout all in itself!
Old 08-25-2005, 01:11 AM   #8
Christian Lemburg

Profile:
I would suggest that you do a lot of sprinting *uphill* before you start to actively incorporate downhill (overspeed) work into your training. You need to be very strong to really let go when running downhill. Yes, it is cool in that it teaches you to relax at full speed, but it is very dangerous (falling!), and very taxing on your lower legs and quads.

On the POSE forum, there was also some discussion about this issue (running downhill as a form of training). Several people noted that running downhill does not transfer very well to level running for them (depends on the incline, of course).

Cheers,

Christian
Old 08-25-2005, 05:55 AM   #9
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
Actually I should clarify! I meant that you can use a short slight downhill (3-10 yards) to get work on acceleration. overspeed training should be done with caution, and should be used as an advanced technique, in an established sprinting program.

Sometimes get ahead of myself, sorry guys! Th
anks for keeping my honest.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:27 AM   #10
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
How far down do you bend with the knees? Hands away from the body or close?

Thanks guys :-). Sprinting is a pretty cool skill. I need to get good shoes for it as well.